RV-500 MIDI

PuRe_AdDicT

RV-500 MIDI

Post by PuRe_AdDicT » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:20 am

Hi guys, I was glad to find this forum, maybe someone can help me.

I have an RV-500 that for the last 3 years has been on a pedal board. I have an FS-7 connected to it for Tap tempo and it sends MIDI out to a Strymon Mobius. This has worked flawlessly since I set it up.

Now we're playing a little more at home, I'm experimenting with my pedals connected as External FX in Cubase.

Whenever I send MIDI data to the input of the RV-500 (first time I tried since I got it) I get a MIDI error on the screen of the RV-500.

I have reset to factory settings and tried every MIDI option in the thing.

I have been successfully able to sync it to my DAW with USB sync it appears as something I can connect in Cubase and send MIDI clock and "MIDI" appears on the front screen of RV500. However, this method I find to have noise interference with any USB cable I try.

I have been successfully able to sync Mobius to Cubase with MIDI to prove my methods

I'm not a MIDI novice, but I have to say this thing has me completely stumped.

There's very little information about this error online, I hope there is not some issue with my device, appreciate any advice that's available, thanks in advance.

Paul

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: RV-500 MIDI

Post by Pepe » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I only use MIDI to send and receive SysEx dumps of my synthesizers. Before I had a USB/MIDI cable I used an adapter for the 15 pin jack of the joystick port. In those days I had to adjust the maximum size of the data that went through this cable for every synth, or else it didn't work. Maybe it's a similar error in your case?

And sometimes IN and OUT of those adapter cables are mixed up. Did you try it the other way out?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

PuRe_AdDicT

Post by PuRe_AdDicT » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Pepe.

I should have said, I have a dedicated USB midi device with 4ins and 4outs, I'm not using the adapter you mentioned, just a normal MIDI cable into a MIDI port. MIDI out of my interface and into the MIDI in of the RV-500 :)

PuRe_AdDicT

Post by PuRe_AdDicT » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Eventually got to the bottom of this.

The USB MIDI interface I'm using is only working out of ports 1 and 2 with all devices. It seems Port 3 and 4 (which I was using) has some issues with some devices, the RV500 being one of them.

I also moved it to a bus powered USB hub instead of the passive one it was on.

Thanks for looking, now go wash your hands!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:56 pm

PuRe_AdDicT wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:14 pm
Thanks for looking, now go wash your hands!
:lol:

Good to hear that you found the problem. 8-)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram