Compressors!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Compressors!

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am

Hello all,

I recently revisited/dusted off/cataloged my BOSS collection and gave them a whirl. I recalled that I had once gone through the compressor chase back in the day, starting with a CS-3 (board mainstay), snapping up a CS-1 as a curio and then eventually trading to a boxed minty CS-2...only to not really be a compressor guy (at the time) :lol:

Anyway shoot to now and I noticed I have two CS-1s, a black screw (light always on) and a silver screw (momentary light). The latter however has an odd problem. I think its switch related, as holding he switch down brings on the LED (for a moment of course) the effect sound is active, but then releasing the switch cuts the signal completely, no bypass is getting through.

So, if anyone has a any experience with those early SS pedals or the CS-1...

1) My SS CS-1 seems to have a black switch not a clear switch, is that correct? Its a 8900 serial.
2) Were the switches different or are they all the same spec (momentary in design).

Many thanks!

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Compressors!

Post by laurie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:34 am

Black and clear switches are functionally the same - both are momentary.

Sounds like something weird going on with the flip-flop.

What are you powering it with?

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:21 am

Hello Laurie,

Many thanks for your reply (can seem a b it of a ghost town here recently :? ).

Currently using a daisy chain of off a TU-2 though I have an ACA adaptor to use if I need.

Slightly confusing the issue is the momentary LED (which I am assuming is standard for the silver screw) model, but slightly tricky troubleshooting wise. As far as I can tell its not giving any bypass signal.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Before anything else, please try it with a known good battery (no external power) and as the only pedal - not in any sort of chain.