Playing Style of Music which is "Period Correct" For Your Pedals

visserman

Playing Style of Music which is "Period Correct" For Your Pedals

Post by visserman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 pm

What do I mean with the term "Period Correct"?

Very simply really: Play a style of music which fits with the style of music your pedal was designed for.

We have probably all heard about Classical musicians and them using period correct instruments. There are whole Orchestras which will only use
period correct musically instruments to justify the music the Orchestra performs.

I was thinking is there something like this with pedals as well?

Of course, pedals are not designed for a particular style of music. When the OD-1 came out in the late 1970s it was there to give you a bit of dirt to your guitar sound without having to crank the master volume of your amp. As it happens to be, the OD-1 tends to sound like a Marshall JMP of the 1970s. The typical dirt sound of the day used by.................so many bands of that period!

Okay so when you step on a OD-1 does it make you feel like playing AC/Dc kind of riffs or will you end playing more like Nirvana or Steve Vai type of shredding. I guess I know what you will say eh?

Will your pedal of choice depend of your style of playing or will you adjust your style according to the pedal(S) you are using.
Do you actually violate against what a pedal can give you? Try shredding style with a OD-1? Sometimes this can give you interesting results, of course, not with the example of shredding and OD-1, which is more used as a joke really.

Okay let me see how some of you feel about this subject, and of course, it can go in all kind of directions with regards to the topic.
Cheers!

Kulten
SBZ: Copper

Re: Playing Style of Music which is "Period Correct" For Your Pedals

Post by Kulten » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:17 pm

My 18 y.o. son uses a Behringer copy of an Electro Harmonix phaser, to play with old synth sounds and get Kraftwerk or J.M. Jarre sound.
Last edited by Kulten on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Post by Gasgano » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:33 am

Almost all my pedals are digital, so I would say over-produced 2000's pop rock is the correct period for mine :lol:
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Well, I've got an HM-2 and have never played any heavy metal. Does that count?

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:33 pm

The HM-2 is so great for non-Heavy-Metal stuff. I approve!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 am

obligatory HM-2 praise. its really just sounds great!

I try not to indulge nostalgia, except I absolutely LOVE the sound of 90s rack alesis midiverb and quadraverb etc and for the most part compact digital reverb pedals, reverbs that are lush yet sorta cold, found all over classic "IDM" and "shoegaze"

And then, I don't really imitate this artist at all but I just happen to think the classic jimi hendrix rig was a pretty good idea of the fundamentals, wah, fuzz face, octavia, vibe (maybe substitute vibe for different mod pedal), into a dirty amp, should be all I need... so I am very pleased with how dunlops been continually relaunching these basic effects accurately.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun May 03, 2020 6:35 pm

Never cared about period correct for any of my stomps, whatever they are. I use my gear for specific textures and tones - and I mainly play originals - so whatever sounds right at the time works for me. I don't care if it's an Electric Mistress clone (had the real thing years ago and sold it :( ) , El Capistan or anything by Boss.

If it works, it works, end of.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum