About JB-2 and Dirt Pedal Combinations

visserman

Post by visserman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Okay, apologies at first: This pedal came out in 2017, so it may have been discussed a lot on the old Stompbox forum.
I do not see anything here at the moment so let me put up this question: Does anyone like em?
I was not even aware of them until a few weeks ago.
I like the idea of what it does and the concept behind it. I tend to use the Rat in a similar way: Boost sound of other pedals or tame sound of some of them.

Also interesting to see Boss collab. with another company JHS, a similar thing as the Fender pedals from about 10/12 years ago.

When I first noticed this pedal I was a little sceptical about it: Boss does have many dirt pedals, is there a need for something else? This was until I read what it can do and the idea behind the pedal: Not really a normal dirt pedal, more of a tweaker pedals which some interesting turns and twists.
Last edited by visserman on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

visserman

Post by visserman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Okay this is a little slow. Let me guess: Most of you here have enough dirt pedals and this one may not wet your appetite. Another Boss dirt pedal,and there is the new Waza range with updates for the old favourites so why would someone want to try a JB-2?

I have not yet tired a JB-2 as well, but I did combine the HM-2 with a Blues Driver. HM-2 basically being a modded JCM 800 so should take away some of the brightness of the Blues Driver? Needless to say, once you try this combination it does work: It enhances the sound of the Blues Driver.

For One Year and a half I I have used the same pedal, set-up: The chain contains about 9 pedals and there are three dirt pedals, plus one which can act as a dirt pedal.

The dirt pedals in this chain are a PW-2, Blue Clipper (which sounds like a Fuzz) and the RAt, which I mainly use for boosting and adding body to the sound.

Although I do love the sounds I can create with this set-up I started to miss overdrives.
Most of my playing comes out of inspiration of the sound: The sound coming from the pedals will lead me to the music I will end up making.

Reading about the JB-2 made me curious. At first, without knowing anything about the history and design of the JB-2 I was also sceptical. Its name suggests something like another MT-2 or at least a pedal with a lot of gain and dirt. How wrong one can be with a image and a brand name eh?

I started to experiment with the BD-2, and combine it with other pedals such as the HM-2, OD-1, OD-3 and TS-9. All of those pedals are overdrives apart from the HM-2. I liked the results of all the combinations, but these experiments also lead me onto to using the TS-9 in combination with the Sans classic, which is basically a advanced preamp pedal: Dialing in a Fender sound from the Sans and use the TS 9 and there you are, instant subtle crucnchy Fender sounds,great for Blues or Classic Rock style sounds.

Combining Dirt pedals is something I do not tend to do much, I feel it takes away the character of the initial pedal you are working with. Of course, this is not true, all you are doing is you adding something to the pedal EQ-and Gain-wise which will give a complete new character to the pedal you are working with. It is almost like you have modded the pedal, or designed a new version.

Anyone else who like to share their dirt pedal caominbations?