New Boss SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

New Boss SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

Post by BearBoy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm

The SY-1000 is a breakthrough creation machine that transforms your guitar or bass rig with limitless sound design options. This powerhouse music tool opens a bold new chapter in the legacy of BOSS guitar synth innovation, fusing decades of R&D with our latest software and hardware advancements. Backed by a cutting-edge sound engine, high-octane DSP, and evolved GK technology, the SY-1000 delivers the finest performance and most organic playing experience to date.

Three simultaneous instruments and premium processing let you craft any sound you can imagine—intense analog-style leads, warm pads, moving synth textures, modeled electric and acoustic tones, or all at once. And with freely configurable footswitches, outputs, and external controls, you can maximize the hardware for any workflow. Sonically vast and deeply expressive, the SY-1000 is an infinite well of inspiration, energizing your musical vision with endless possibilities.

BearBoy

Re: New Boss SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

Post by BearBoy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 pm

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:23 pm

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 am

Is it just me... or does all the new Boss stuff seem WAY too expensive?

Maybe it's "good value" (not even sure about that) but these boxes are pretty far away from a $70 stomp-box. Certainly not something I'd buy "on a whim" ... I would need a clearly defined reason to pay this much - too much money to have just laying around.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Yea crazy price range. I guess , would it have been just as expensive to get a classic Roland guitar synth? It’s a cool thing though I wonder what’s new over the sy300

visserman

Post by visserman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 pm

laurie wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 am

Maybe it's "good value" (not even sure about that) but these boxes are pretty far away from a $70 stomp-box. Certainly not something I'd buy "on a whim" ... I would need a clearly defined reason to pay this much - too much money to have just laying around.

I agree with your observation Laurie. I have to say I have not looked at any new pedals for a while. Checking out the range of Boss pedals and checking out prices I feel similar as what you mentioned before. Checking out other brands and you see similar things. Prices have been slowing creeping up, like the cost of living.

You can still buy second hand, but again, second hand Boss is not cheap. Good thing: They hold their value, or they even go up.
Last edited by visserman on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:12 am

laurie wrote:

China to the left of me, Strymon to the right, here I am...

Reverb has had some interesting articles lately about sales trends in 2019, and this one would seem to indicate synth pedals are the new hotness: https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2019

Overall, I am left wondering who buys this stuff..there must be entire genres of music I'm not versed in to be generating this kind of demand (I'm sure there must be, because I can't imagine going out and listening to an entire evening of synth guitar :D )

visserman

Post by visserman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 pm

sclitheroe wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:12 am
laurie wrote:

China to the left of me, Strymon to the right, here I am...

Reverb has had some interesting articles lately about sales trends in 2019, and this one would seem to indicate synth pedals are the new hotness: https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2019

Overall, I am left wondering who buys this stuff..there must be entire genres of music I'm not versed in to be generating this kind of demand (I'm sure there must be, because I can't imagine going out and listening to an entire evening of synth guitar :D )
The trick is to use them in context of what you do. Getting flute-and trumpet sounds from your guitar, for example is fun, but they are not sounds you would use all the time.

The thing about synths is that you can programme then and get them to sound how you want rather that just playing with a present and moving on.

The kind of music you will hear them being used are ambient music and other styles of contemporary music. Andy Summers uses syths. he even did it in some of the Police songs, fairly accessible music really.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Franzoni

Post by Franzoni » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:43 pm

Howdy...been a while.....as some of you know i used a GR-20 for a few years in a live setting but mostly for pads and some brass and organ sounds...it can be fun to make your guitar sound like a sax or a banjo but personally i found using more traditional synth sounds worked best instead of sax i used the Pat Metheny fat Brass sound based on the old GR 300 as i found it worked best and didn't sound as fake...... also some of the sounds have slight drag/glitch in the sound...the banjo patch in the GR-20 anyway can't keep up with fast banjo style rolls etc.......

I don't know if Roland have solved this with the new SY-1000 but i know from reading on the synth forums that there were still issues with the GR-55 and also there is a serious compromise to be made when trying to play guitar and synth on the same track ..i.e eventually something has to give way to the other unless you have two guitar players in the band.....