Boss MS-3

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Boss MS-3

Post by Gasgano » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Well, I'm going back to multi-effects, but a special one. One that integrates the compact pedals I love to use.

I must say at first, the settings are a little difficult to figure out but after a day of tinkering, it is absolutely mastered. And boy, what a powerful unit. I'm in love.

As a "clean" sound, I like the fact you can disable absolutely everything. In other words, unlike some previous Boss multi-effects I had, it does not color your tone because of a built-in compressor that you can't deactivate or a noise suppressor that never really goes down to 0. With only loops activated, it's just a giant pedal switcher (as you would expect because it's what it was designed for).

You can assign ANYTHING to ANYWHERE, really, with the exception of the three loops that have to stay together in the Input-(Effects)-L1-L2-L3-(Effects)-Output order. All other effects can be moved around.

It comes in handy in that very "Toolish" period of time when you play bass and try to nail some Justin Chancellor Whammy and/or Delay in a single switch.

One thing I like about it that's kind of unexpected is that every memory saves the manual mode. In other words, you could have a clean memory that, put in manual mode, pops the distorsion you had assigned it (on whatever switch you assigned it, from 1 to 4) as well as some chorus or delay you had assigned but deactivated before saving, and the chain order you had assigned it. In other words, it doesn't just save the end result: it saves the whole process in EVERY SETTING. So, since you have 50 banks x 4 memories, you can assign 200 different combinations of "manual mode" 1-2-3-4 setups (including effects, control and tap tempo). I doubt anyone needs that many, so I doubt I'll ever run out.

So, when you recall one memory you could have clean sound, then put it in manual mode, you have Distorsion assigned to switch 1, Chorus to switch 2, Delay to switch 3 and Tap tempo for the delay on switch 4. If you go back to memory, it'll go back to the clean sound you had saved, but will not get rid of all the other settings you had saved for the 3 effects I mentionned.

If you like multi-effects AND compact pedals and like to have full control of your signal chain, this is a must-have for you.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."