New BOSS pedals!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:51 pm

A few days ago I bought a faulty PH-1R (silver screw model from March 1981!) in very nice overall cosmetic condition. I successfully repaired it today. It needed a new battery clip and a new zener diode. And a proper cleaning. Works like a charm now. After having swapped the electrolytic capacitors I'm convinced it sounds better than with the old ones. It can be my imagination only, but I think it has a more intensive effect now. I'm very pleased!

Pics will follow.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Here are the pics of the PH-1R. Is it normal that it is cut out in the way that you have access to the onboard's trimpot? Very strange to see the circuit board without opening the backplate!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 am

Congrats Pepe! The PH-1R was my main phaser in my BCB-6 gig board for a long time and remains a favourite.

Do you mean the gap visible just behind and to the right of the grommet? The rectangular hole? I have the same space visible on a silver screw CS-1 of a similar age.

Actually, I have never seen a silver screw PH-1R before nor indeed owned a 0400 serial, quite an early one? I always have to look closely a the bodies have those rounded counters and snug washers at the side, somehow "cuter". :lol:

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:53 am

Incoming - a very interesting pedal, with a twist! 8-)

Admin
Site Admin
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Admin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am

FuzzBuzzFuzz - I'm intrigued.

Pepe - That's quite the find! Good work on the repair. Is this staying in the collection or were you hoping to fix it for a sale?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 am

I'm not really sure. I think that my KORG KPH-401 unit of the modular system that I love (PME-40X) is pretty similar and sound and more versatile due to an additional manual knob. I still have to test them side by side to make my decision.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:24 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 am
Actually, I have never seen a silver screw PH-1R before nor indeed owned a 0400 serial, quite an early one? I always have to look closely a the bodies have those rounded counters and snug washers at the side, somehow "cuter". :lol:
It is a legit silver screw model as it seems. It has the matching backplate label ("use a coin"). Actually it's my first own silver screw model and apart from the BF-1 that I owned it's my oldest BOSS pedal up to this date. It also has the slightly rounder chassis. Do those washers belong to the treadle? When I received it it had two small black washers under two of the backplate screws and a serrated washer under another one. I don't know if this was the original state.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:24 pm
Do those washers belong to the treadle? When I received it it had two small black washers under two of the backplate screws and a serrated washer under another one. I don't know if this was the original state.
This vintage had washers under the backplate screws. 3 of them were flat washers, and one was serrated for grounding, so it sounds like you are missing one of the flat washers.

Not sure what "those washers" are when you are referring to the treadle?

And... I notice it has a non-standard glide-bushing. I looks like a 3/8" grommet, rather than the standard Boss bushing. Not an issue! Just making the observation.

Nice pedal. Were you able to check the bias and set the trim-pot?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 pm

I meant the two screws that hold the treadle in space. So the washers don't belong there but indeed on the screws of the backplate. Thanks for the info.

The grommet is a replacement. The old one was torn to pieces.

I didn't touch the trim-pot. It sounds very good the way it is, so I didn't want to mess it up. I suppose I would need an oscilloscope to do it properly? I bet you wouldn't recommend a "by-ear calibration", although I have done it so many times in the past with my synths and pedals. :lol:

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:37 pm
I meant the two screws that hold the treadle in space. So the washers don't belong there but indeed on the screws of the backplate. Thanks for the info.

The grommet is a replacement. The old one was torn to pieces.

I didn't touch the trim-pot. It sounds very good the way it is, so I didn't want to mess it up. I suppose I would need an oscilloscope to do it properly? I bet you wouldn't recommend a "by-ear calibration", although I have done it so many times in the past with my synths and pedals. :lol:
I have had a few BOSS early types with washers on the treadle attachment screws too, so I think they were standard to a point.

Let me know if you need some official Roland BOSS washers (if you can't get them where you are), I can order here in Japan, though I tend to put in a large order each time due to postage. (some parts are ridiculously pricy though, $3 a washer for the side jacks, it adds up!) :o