New BOSS pedals!

bigtone23

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:14 am

chromandre wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:30 pm
Just a plain old 2006 DS-1 but I am very pleased, mint condition, craigslist score for $25 and it was in walking distance of my house!
Clean, through hole pedals with the cooler, colorful boxes are such a great score! Getting to walk to the seller is a bonus!

I have picked up a few bargain priced, newer MIT through-hole BOSS just to try some mods. It's sort of no harm/no foul, like modding a MIM Fender.
My beat up $10 BD2 didn't initially work very well, but after getting it up and running, it was made perfect for my needs by just adding the switchable bass boost taken from the Keeley mod. A 2011 DS1 (also with cool, colorful box) became an A List stand-alone drive for my SF Fender amps after some JCM800/Pre 94/fizz reduction tweaks. Now to get that modded SD2 I picked up recently tweaked at least halfway back to stock.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:46 am

chromandre wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:30 pm
Just a plain old 2006 DS-1 but I am very pleased, mint condition, craigslist score for $25 and it was in walking distance of my house!
A mint DS-1 is always beautiful.
Nice catch.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:53 pm

Speaking of DS-1...

That's a good idea! 😃

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiYBV9mMzWg/

Fallen_lassen
SBZ: Silver

Post by Fallen_lassen » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:17 am

Two new old pedals for me this month
8A6426A7-0589-4D89-80C4-EA38EB3FC3BB.jpeg
8A6426A7-0589-4D89-80C4-EA38EB3FC3BB.jpeg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
One of them was a bicycle ride away
One of them had the ‘the led doesn’t work’ story
One of them was pretty expensive
One of them was dirty and got written ‘aca 12 ‘on them
None of them had a box
Both of them made me smile :D.
New are : FRV-1. OD-2

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 am

Yeah! Very cool.Although the OD-2 has to be cranked up all the way to produce a proper volume level at low gain.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 am
Yeah! Very cool.Although the OD-2 has to be cranked up all the way to produce a proper volume level at low gain.
Yep, I run mine on the lower side of gain and prefer the tone of Turbo mode. The gain never goes above 10 o clock. I find the OD2 used in this way works best with lower output pickups. If I use pickups that are even medium output, I can't get the (lower drive settings) dirty signal to match the volume of bypass mode. I did a R62 jumper mod that did give the dirty signal a very slight volume boost. I also saw there is a R39 to 820 ohm to boost the turbo mode volume, too. I might try that, too, as it might help this pedal be more useful with more guitars.
I know the easy fix is an OD2r, but it's not really necessary, as I only use Turbo mode and only use this pedal to it's strengths: lower output pickups/lower gain/Turbo mode. Plus, I use my SD2 way more often, as it's perfection for my stand-alone yellow Boss drive tone. The OD2 is my 2nd place yellow Boss stand alone drive. The SD1 is my favorite dirty amp booster.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:50 pm

Awesome if it works for you this way! I wouldn't want to miss the Turbo Off mode. It's the best overdrive for my keyboard instruments in general. It is such a great pedal!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:35 pm

This OD-20 arrived a few days ago. I bought it for a quite low price. The memory function didn't work as well as the last position of the "Type" selector switch. The "Variation" button did also show a very strange behaviour from time to time.

I downloaded the service manual, because I assumed that I would have to check the ICs on the board (there had been a good diagnose function). But first I disassembled everything to give it a proper cleaning plus I treated the wire connectors with isopropyl alcohol. When I tried it out again all the malfunctions have magically disappeared. It works like a new pedal now. Yeah! :D

So far I think it is a cool unit, but two models of my favourite pedals, the OD-2(R) and the HM-2, don't sound too good in the OD-20. I still have to do a 1:1 test with the OD-2R, but the HM-2 mode simply doesn't sound or behave like a real HM-2. The distinct sound of the High EQ knob isn't there. And it should have been possible to emulate the strange behaviour of the Gain knob.

A lot of the other 20 models are quite good. I had never wanted to pay the full price for a new OD-20 or what you have to pay at Reverb nowadays, because I have never been a fan of digital overdrive or distortion (except for the KORG ToneWorks 105od). But for this price it was almost a no-brainer. Now that it is back to full function, I'm quite happy with the purchase.

But I would trade it for an ROD-10 without thinking twice.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:33 am

I had a few new BOSS pop into the collection this month.

(1) a 2nd (much cleaner) DF-2 Feedbacker & Distortion from 1988 (MIJ). Pleasently surprised by the overdrien tones, possibly one of my favourites from BOSS, edgy but not extreme. I also love the synth like "cello" esque feedback for songwriting. I have my first unit somewhere which I may either keep or pass on, a 1985 MIJ.

(2) BOSS KM-4 - a vintage old mixer, couldn't resist to pick up, there's something very indestructible about them compared to flimsy modern plastic stuff!

Pics to follow.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:52 am

The DF-2 is great! The best sound with the feedback can be achieved if you run it through another distortion and leave the DF-2's gain at low values.