New BOSS pedals!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:53 am

Luke Drifter wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:27 am
I swapped out the DD7 on my board with a DD8 the other day (one came up s/h at a good price)

I'm loving the 'warm' setting, and the addition of reverb a la RV-3. Otherwise no better or worse than the DD7
I keep repeating it until BOSS finally hears me: we want knobs for the delay tone (high and low!) in our DD compact pedals! Ditch the blue knobs and use two concentric ones instead. Thanks a lot!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:58 am

On the odd day the sun shines for a pedal collector :D (it's been while)

That wonderful feeling when you spot a battered looking SD-1 and think "...Black label?!"...eyes scan down to see a CE-2 (heart beating faster!!)

Looked like a chap had popped his long used pedal (bag? since they were all "characterful" with chips!) up for sale, all dating within a month of each other, March/April 1982. There was a very battered DM-2 too but my budget was not so flush!

I do have multiples of these so I perhaps may keep, I'm quite fond of the look in a way, and for gigs given the rising value of pristine units.

*Sidenote: I didnt bother pulling out an ACA adaptor, just hooked up to an isolated supply, SD-1 lit up (pretty much normal brightness), CE-2 nothing at all light wise. Curious. (obviously the CE-2 was fine with a battery).
Attachments
image_6483441.JPG
image_6483441.JPG (186.99 KiB) Viewed 3119 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:20 am

2,300 Yen for a black label SD-1? Wow!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:44 am

Pepe wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:20 am
Well plus tax...but yeah absolutely, one of those rare magical moments of anticipation and excitement!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:46 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:44 am
Pepe wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:20 am
Well plus tax...but yeah absolutely, one of those rare magical moments of anticipation and excitement!
Although I did drive about 8 hours that day dropping by every used store possible, and that was the last one!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:29 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:58 am

That wonderful feeling when you spot a battered looking SD-1 and think "...Black label?!"...eyes scan down to see a CE-2 (heart beating faster!!)

Looked like a chap had popped his long used pedal (bag? since they were all "characterful" with chips!) up for sale, all dating within a month of each other, March/April 1982. There was a very battered DM-2 too but my budget was not so flush!

I do have multiples of these so I perhaps may keep, I'm quite fond of the look in a way, and for gigs given the rising value of pristine units.

*Sidenote: I didnt bother pulling out an ACA adaptor, just hooked up to an isolated supply, SD-1 lit up (pretty much normal brightness), CE-2 nothing at all light wise. Curious. (obviously the CE-2 was fine with a battery).
Wow! That is quite a deal for those two pedals in today's market!
I paid basically the same amount about 10 years ago for my '80 CE2 and '82 SD1 (not accounting for inflation). The CE2 was $70 from Guitar Center and the SD1 was $30 from a pawn shop. Gotta love it when a pawn shop blindly sells a SD1 based on 21st Century MIT values! I also picked up a Green label BF2 that day from the same pawn shop for $35, as it was a typical selling price back then. :D

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:39 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:29 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:58 am

Wow! That is quite a deal for those two pedals in today's market!
I paid basically the same amount about 10 years ago for my '80 CE2 and '82 SD1 (not accounting for inflation). The CE2 was $70 from Guitar Center and the SD1 was $30 from a pawn shop. Gotta love it when a pawn shop blindly sells a SD1 based on 21st Century MIT values! I also picked up a Green label BF2 that day from the same pawn shop for $35, as it was a typical selling price back then. :D
Nice! Yes, it's in a way a relief in these days of highly inflated online prices (plus soaring demand due to social media et) that we can on occasion source a few for very reasonable amounts.

That's a great price on the BF-2, one of the few earlier classics that's still in a relatively affordable price bracket. And a CE-2 for 70 dollars, can't go wrong!

My first magic CE-2 was for I think about $95 AUS dollars 10 years ago, down on price after I pointed out it was MIT not MIJ. I was blissfully happy with it, although at the time I traded a PH-1 for $70 to get it (which I'd bought at a pawn shop for $50)! "Swings and roundabouts" as we say. (In my ignorance at the time I did not know the PH-1 is sensitive to higher output pickups, and its distortion annoyed me so much, so I was happy to trade and money being tight!)

Side note: Just bought an SP-1 for 20,000 yen that works intermittently (I'd won an auction without particularly reading the listing!). I hope a service at home will restore it, as I'd never thought I'd be close to owning one (60,000 yen being a more realistic market price these days alas!).

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:46 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:39 am
Side note: Just bought an SP-1 for 20,000 yen that works intermittently (I'd won an auction without particularly reading the listing!). I hope a service at home will restore it, as I'd never thought I'd be close to owning one (60,000 yen being a more realistic market price these days alas!).
WOW! Congratulations! :o

The SG-1's circuit is no rocket science. I would suggest checking all the solder traces, especially those of all the wires and the switch. Clean the battery clip, the DC jack and also open the switch to treat it with isopropyl alcohol. And if you intend to keep the SG-1 consider recapping it.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Let me know if you don't have any luck with fixing it... I can talk you through any fault.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:36 pm

Not quite as exciting as the vintage rarities posted above but here's my latest acquisition:
Boss FRV-1 - Copy.jpg
Boss FRV-1 - Copy.jpg (54.29 KiB) Viewed 3047 times