New BOSS pedals!

Old_Iron

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:43 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Have you got an HM-2w yet, Old_Iron?
Yes BearBoy, right now I have every model released by Boss since November 1977. :D

Waiting the new FZ-1W to be put for sale.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:59 pm

Would be interested to know what your thoughts are on the HM-2w? I'm especially interested in the "custom" mode as I have one of the originals.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:08 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:59 pm
Would be interested to know what your thoughts are on the HM-2w? I'm especially interested in the "custom" mode as I have one of the originals.
I never did a side by side comparison but I think that the custom mode is "inspired" by the HM-3 Hyper Metal, as I had predicted before the release.

About my thoughts, I am not a fan of the HM-2, I think the HM-3 is better because of it's fuller sound, more low mids if compared to the HM-2.

The MT-2 and ML-2 are my favorites for extreme metal, but I'm getting old and leaving my headbanging days behind, turning my attention to Blues and classic hard rock.

BearBoy
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:23 pm

Interesting; thanks. I've also got an HM-3 so it sounds like I can probably give the HM-2w a miss 8-)

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:57 pm

laurie wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:24 pm
This list isn't complete, and it focuses on the electrical variations (not things like thumb-cut boxes).

There may be variants in here you don't yet have on your list (no promises)...
Very interesting how different collectors views their own collections.

After a first look in Laurie's list of variants, I noticed a few diferences and similarities in between me and him as collectors.

As Laurie pointed, he was more focused on the circuit components variations, me too, but I am more into aesthetics details variations, countries of manufacturing, rarity, back label colors, etc.

But, he was also even more deep into aesthetics then me when he records the color of the battery snaps and the hyphen gap in the HM-2 MIT. Things that I never looked after, never cared.

On the other hand, I am interested in the small variants of the early DS-1 Toshiba chip and the combination of chips and clipping diodes variants in the "drive" MIJ pedals. Details that would fit much more in his view of the thing.

We have common ground, sure, but we have different views on how to collect too, and even sometimes, we "invade" each other collector's style, very interesting.

Laurie, I saw quite a few variants to be added to my list, but I am shaving off many in my list, and the variants in yours that I don't have are exactly what I am calling now "the dark side of the force", and I am walking towards the light, to free myself from the madness of collecting all variants. :lol:

So thank you very much Laurie, your list is a very good reference to collectors.

The_Doc
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:47 pm

This is interesting because my objective when collecting is very different.

I collect boxed versions in as good as a condition as possible. After that I have a very simple need to hear each one and then use them to mix and match and, basically, play around with sound.

I must confess that along that journey I have picked up a few variants probably more by accident than design.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:03 am

The_Doc wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:47 pm
This is interesting because my objective when collecting is very different.

I collect boxed versions in as good as a condition as possible. After that I have a very simple need to hear each one and then use them to mix and match and, basically, play around with sound.

I must confess that along that journey I have picked up a few variants probably more by accident than design.
I like the way you collect Doc, maybe if I had seen your collection when I began mine, I would collect just like you do.

As I said, I was influenced by the Cameron Johnson's video and in it he says that he doesn't care for pedal condition, I decided to be more concerned about it, but the possibility to collect only mint units never crossed my mind at that time.

My urge to have a complete collection, plus the desire to have rare models and variants, would have made very difficult to collect like you do.

Living here in Brazil, far from Japan, Europe, Australia and USA, where the vintage pedals are, having to pay expensive shipment and taxes with an undervalued currency, it is very hard to pay the prices for mint boxed units.

But it's nice that we all have different approaches on how to collect, give us different points of view and different knowledge about it that can be shared.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:57 pm
I am shaving off many in my list, and the variants in yours that I don't have are exactly what I am calling now "the dark side of the force", and I am walking towards the light, to free myself from the madness of collecting all variants. :lol:
The shark has swum out to sea... it isn't gone ;)

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:59 pm

laurie wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 am
The shark has swum out to sea... it isn't gone ;)
:lol:

That decision releases me from the bitterness of buying pedals I don't care about, so... yes, the shark is far away, maybe one day it will be back, maybe it will die in the bottom of the sea, who knows...

But I feel good about my decision, and the fun of hunting rare and vintage pedals that I like will go on. :D

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:01 am

I picked up another Hyper Fuzz two weeks ago (the one on the right). 8-)

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram