New BOSS pedals!

Old_Iron

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:56 am
I've been wondering if I should send you my list of variants... there might be something in there that you don't have. Like the (IRRC) 5 variants of a CS-3 :D
That would be nice Laurie, please send me it via email, thank you.

But I must say that I am changing my mind about this whole madness, or at least starting to be way more selective about variants.

After realizing that Boss still commercializes almost half of the models released, with the recent change from thru hole to surface mounting components, and the production moving to Malaysia, the amount of variants increased exponentially.

Some models in production today will have at least 3 new variants, the last MIT thru hole (with the "new" silver label), the last MIT surface mounting (also with the "new" silver label) and the MIM surface mounting (with the new black label).

I am buying those new variants from a few selected models, like : DS-1, SD-1, BD-2, MT-2, GE-7, CS-3... Only because I'm curious to hear them as surface mounting devices and because they are not very expensive.

I will continue to collect the vintage MIJ variants, but not all, just to finish the "families" I already created.

Yeah, I am officially dropping this goal of my collection, will keep it complete, will try to have all silver screws from the first batch (only 3 missing), will collect vintage MIJ variants and will slowly substitute any unit for a better condition one, if needed. And that's it.

Another problem is space, with 226 units 4 shoe racks are filled, there is no more space for a 5th shoe rack.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:47 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 am
Another problem is space, with 226 units 4 shoe racks are filled, there is no more space for a 5th shoe rack.
That's what you say now. ;)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:16 am

Pepe wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:47 am
Old_Iron wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 am
That's what you say now. ;)
I lost interest in having so many variants of models that I don't care about and almost never play with.

Unfortunately it's for real Pepe.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:26 am

Then you are not as insane as some people might think when watching your awesome pictures. :) It really doesn't make much sense if you only purchase stuff to immediately forget it again, because of the better variants that you have.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 am

Great finds Old_Iron and these are excellent additions to your superb collection. I have 204 Boss pedals but have stopped collecting the different versions now - so it can be done! However, my full pedal collection does stand at 543 which means that I’m still in pretty deep with no sign of giving up completely :lol:

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:24 pm

This list isn't complete, and it focuses on the electrical variations (not things like thumb-cut boxes).

There may be variants in here you don't yet have on your list (no promises)...
List1.jpg
List1.jpg (343.88 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
List2.jpg
List2.jpg (312.92 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
List3.jpg
List3.jpg (305.16 KiB) Viewed 3339 times

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:18 pm

Pepe wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:26 am
Then you are not as insane as some people might think when watching your awesome pictures. :) It really doesn't make much sense if you only purchase stuff to immediately forget it again, because of the better variants that you have.
I think a collector is somebody that has a purpose in collecting, like putting goals to archive with his collection, purposes like a complete collection, or to acquire knowledge about the subject collected, or to preserve/save objects collected, etc. More or less like a small private museum.

Otherwise you are a hoarder or somebody that just piles up something in small quantities with no specific purpose in doing it.

My Boss collection began as a small number of "guitar player tools", since I am not a modulation kind of player, more like a booster/overdrive kind of player, I decided to acquire one of each type of modulation pedal to have as a tool, if needed. And Boss being the standard, the benchmark in the pedal market, was chose to be the one I bought from. No need to pick a "better" chorus or delay, Boss was good enough to me.

So I bought a Boss reverb, a delay, a chorus, etc. Just to have one of each kind of modulation pedal. At that time I was interested much more in the classic "drive" pedals such as: Big Muff, Rat, Tube Screamer, Fuzz Face, Distortion +, etc... And some Boss classics too like: SD-1, DS-1, OD-1...

So the idea of collecting all Boss "drive" pedals came to be. After sometime collecting, I realized that I had many Boss "drive" pedals and a few modulations, so I decided to collect them all, inspired by the video of Cameron Johnson's complete collection.

Buying vintage classics directly from Japan, I saw that I already had a few from the first batch of production, so why not collect them? But all of them from the first batch? No, lets limit it to the silver screws.

And becoming aware of the variants of the MIJ pedals and the rarity of some, the variant madness began.

So that's how I ended up collecting as I do today.

I'm probably in a state of "hangover" after having archived the goal of having all models released up until today, and with that, rethinking my collection priorities.
Last edited by Old_Iron on Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 am
Great finds Old_Iron and these are excellent additions to your superb collection. I have 204 Boss pedals but have stopped collecting the different versions now - so it can be done! However, my full pedal collection does stand at 543 which means that I’m still in pretty deep with no sign of giving up completely :lol:
Thanks Doc, but superb is yours, as I said before, there are a few "ogres" in my collection. :lol:

543 ?!?! Wow, that is impressive!

Yeah, I think there is life after the cure of the variant madness sickness. :lol:

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:28 pm

laurie wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:24 pm
This list isn't complete, and it focuses on the electrical variations (not things like thumb-cut boxes).

There may be variants in here you don't yet have on your list (no promises)...
Thank you Laurie, I will study it closely to see if there still any variants that I will add to my list.👍

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Have you got an HM-2w yet, Old_Iron?