New BOSS pedals!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Pepe » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:46 am

Congratulations! Combining two long chip DDs is very nice as well.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:18 am

fernieite wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:25 pm
I didn't need another early DD-2. ( I already have a February 1984 one) They were first introduced in December of 1983, from all accounts.

However, I just bought a RARE non-FCC labelled one from January 1984. (381900) I couldn't resist... :roll:

I'm sure some here have an actual December 1983 batch though, right? :mrgreen:

my non fcc boss dd2.jpg
VERY nice!

I hadn' even pondered the rare label bit...I must check what I have somewhere... :?: :)

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:20 am

Ok Sept.1984 here earliest.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:22 am

New acquisitions this last weeked:

FRV-1 63` Reverb - Finally snagged one, few scuffs but boxed etc. Overall I like it, much more natural than many (such as my Subdecay Spring theory) for Spring sounds. I can understand though about the high end EQ, a little too prominent. Overall though I'm glad to pick one up 8/10

SYB-3 - Spotted as a bargain, some bizarre sounds inside, why not! A bit more my cup of tea than the SYB-5 I had very briefly. Not really given it a good shake, perhaps some great "FX" for guitar tunes.

DS-2 - It was "junk" with no rubber grommet bushing and some marks, $20! Couldn't ignore it. Not usually my cup of tea most BOSS drive pedals, first impressions were it reminded me of the DF-2. Not had a chance to try properly yet. Prices are wild here for those and I can't fathom why, or what version, some are selling for 19,000yen!

Also borrowed a Roger Mayer Vision Octavia from a jam mate to experiment with, adds an EQ compared to the Rocket (which is very bright and piecing), this also has the twin output buffers. Smoother, very quiet, not as raucous as some (or "authentic") but like most RM it trades that for practical considerations.

Of course they'll be pedals going the other way through the out door as well ;)

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:46 am

Ah, finally an FRV-1. Congratulations!

SYB-3: it's okay for guitar, but it doesn't work on the full fretboard. It is optimized for a four-string bass guitar. The manuals says: "When using an electric guitar, be sure to play using notes lower than the 12th fret of the third string." This applies for the "internal sound mode" with the standard synthesizer waveforms. The wave shaper is very wild and strange - this is one of the few things that they did better with the SYB-5. The possibility to hold a synth note with the footswitch can be a nice trick for a solo.

DS-2: 19,000 Yen? For a DS-2?! Okay, MIJ versions might be rare, but afaik all these pedals sound the same.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:34 pm

FRV-1 ... a heck of a pedal. Wish I still had mine.

A DS-2 for $20 - I told you you were getting better deals than me :shock:
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:22 am
it reminded me of the DF-2
It is kind of a distant cousin. DS-2 uses discrete components for the voltage amplifier, rather than an opamp. I think this is the only Boss distortion that is designed like this.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:10 am

The BOSS ROD-10 arrived at my place yesterday. I only had the chance to try it out with headphones last evening. It sounds really good and the equalizer is very effective. The best thing is the fuzz mode! I have heard good things about it and it is really cool. It can make my Stratocaster sound like a sitar when I use the bridge pickup. 8-)

The unit is very dirty, the mode selector switch is bent and somehow an orange knob was replaced by a green one, but I might have a spare orange knob in my parts bin.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:38 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:10 am
The BOSS ROD-10 arrived at my place yesterday. I only had the chance to try it out with headphones last evening. It sounds really good and the equalizer is very effective. The best thing is the fuzz mode! I have heard good things about it and it is really cool. It can make my Stratocaster sound like a sitar when I use the bridge pickup. 8-)

The unit is very dirty, the mode selector switch is bent and somehow an orange knob was replaced by a green one, but I might have a spare orange knob in my parts bin.

A good score!!

Were you expecting the issues?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:49 pm

I saw that it wasn't too clean in the Reverb pictures, and I have already noticed the swapped knobs, but I didn't know of the bent switch. I will try my method of carefully bending it into the right position again (with a screwdriver without a bit). Gladly I know a good source for the Alps potentiometers if it should go wrong. ;)

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:54 am

Pepe wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:10 am

A "FUZZ" mode!! Interest piqued! :D

I really must track the reverb down too. Under the radar series.