New BOSS pedals!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Pepe » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:43 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:06 am
Anyway, I am quite pleased to pick up the Made in Japan Waza-fied HM-2, they are very versatile with the powerful EQ, cutting through swathes of delay for shoegaze for example. I am also curious as to whether it does the low voltage octave trick of the early MIJ models. Best octave fuzz in the world!
Err ... whaaat?! :o Please give more information, because I hear about that for the very first time now!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:38 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:43 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Anyway, I am quite pleased to pick up the Made in Japan Waza-fied HM-2, they are very versatile with the powerful EQ, cutting through swathes of delay for shoegaze for example. I am also curious as to whether it does the low voltage octave trick of the early MIJ models. Best octave fuzz in the world!
Err ... whaaat?! :o Please give more information, because I hear about that for the very first time now!
Yeah, this!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:45 am

Hello all,

For fun I popped all the pedals I didn't use on a pedalboard rebuild onto a separate board (slightly smaller) and popped on the FRV-1 that I had picked up a few months back. My ears are very picky with reverbs and to be honest I've rarely liked any digital reverb - most are quite "stiff" to me, and at higher mix settings the pick attack is non-existent. So with that in mind... :)

Who owns a FVR-1?
Where do you put it in the chain?
What settings sound good to your ears? (with or without gain?)

Cheers!

(Sidenote: I loved mine more after I changed the knobs, psychology! :lol: )
Attachments
image_6483441 (2).JPG
image_6483441 (2).JPG (226.67 KiB) Viewed 10921 times

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:49 am

Pepe wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:43 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Well I have had a few HM-2s over the years and in particular the MIJ ones had that character, when voltage starved, i.e. using a 9v adaptor (non ACA). I had an absolute blast in one store riffing away in octave heaven. Very Super Fuzz, genuinely great.

iirc the MIT was not the same, but I can't be absolutely certain.

So if you have a nice Japanese OG HM-2, plug in a regular 9v DC adaptor, watch the LED not light up much and riff away!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:06 am

I'm going to try that soon!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:22 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:45 am
Hello all,

For fun I popped all the pedals I didn't use on a pedalboard rebuild onto a separate board (slightly smaller) and popped on the FRV-1 that I had picked up a few months back. My ears are very picky with reverbs and to be honest I've rarely liked any digital reverb - most are quite "stiff" to me, and at higher mix settings the pick attack is non-existent. So with that in mind... :)

Who owns a FVR-1?

Cheers!

That looks great/authentic with those knobs!
TBH, I don’t love reverb and prefer delay. My boards always have a long, tappable delay and a shorter delay pedal.
However, I found a RV2 many years ago for cheap, so I had to grab it, as it’s BOSS, a historical piece, plus it could be my digital pedal reverb.
Same with the FRV1, found one a few year ago for super cheap, had to grab it, too. Spring reverb, pedal, BOSS. Yep!
The classic setting of the original Fender reverb units was plugged into the front of the amp and the knobs set to 6 6 6! I tried plugging it in last in the chain with the 666 setting. It is that sound. Way too drippy and wet for me. My setting is closer to 2 2 3.
Obviously, this is best located after the dirt/gain/compression pedals or in the loop.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:30 pm

Well, using some rewards points at Guitar Center has a OD2R on the way for a grand total of about $11.50 US!
I have an OD2, but wanted to get this as it was a deal and would like to have more ouput from the pedal and not a bunch of workarounds like a boost or the like.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:22 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:22 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:45 am
Hello all,

Who owns a FVR-1?

Cheers!

That looks great/authentic with those knobs!
TBH, I don’t love reverb and prefer delay. My boards always have a long, tappable delay and a shorter delay pedal.
However, I found a RV2 many years ago for cheap, so I had to grab it, as it’s BOSS, a historical piece, plus it could be my digital pedal reverb.
Same with the FRV1, found one a few year ago for super cheap, had to grab it, too. Spring reverb, pedal, BOSS. Yep!
The classic setting of the original Fender reverb units was plugged into the front of the amp and the knobs set to 6 6 6! I tried plugging it in last in the chain with the 666 setting. It is that sound. Way too drippy and wet for me. My setting is closer to 2 2 3.
Obviously, this is best located after the dirt/gain/compression pedals or in the loop.
Thanks, it's silly, but the new knobs make me love it! Psychology haha.

I'm the same, I keep the tone almost zero, the mix just below 9 o'clock and the dwell perhaps around 10/11 o'clock. That gives me the background spring sound without being too "Pingy" with fuzz and drives. Playing about order wise I felt it best before my vibratos/tremolos.

The RV-2 sat on board for a long long time also as my background reverb too.

Although digital I feel it's the most natural of the BOSS RV's (especially compared to the RV-3 which has a very specific "sound"), it has the settings I need ("Plate" was always nice). My only gripe was perhaps it was a bit stiff/not reactive. The trick I think was the pre-delay (EQ) which I rolled right down, again like the FRV-1.

Like you too, if it's a simple gig I take an old DD-3 and have used two in the past. They do ambience and faux verb well and of course delays tend to not hamper distortion and fuzz etc prior by being overwashy.

There's a nice example with Ocean Colour Scene live on the Jools Holland show (BBC) performing Travellers' Tune (1996/97?), the guitarist Steve Craddock is a longtime BOSS user and that was the first time I'd heard a great verb only to find it was one of two DD-3s! Beautiful sound and very effective solo.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:23 am

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:50 am

I have to have a problem...
Despite not needing them at all, I picked up a HM2W and FZ1W to join the MT2W I got recently.
--The Heavy Metal is just fun, the H tone really has some cool range for tonal manipulation. Plus, it kind of gets Muff-y when not used in the 'Swedish Chain Saw' way. Just like when I first plugged into one back in 1984, I like the gain well below 9:00, H around 11:00 and L around 1:00.
--The Fuzz is cool in a few ways. First, it plays nice with buffers from my active guitars and other pedals. Second, the two modes are pretty cool and stand on their own nicely for fuzz. Third, the two modes with low gain and high volume make for a pretty cool boost!