New BOSS pedals!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:16 am

Pepe wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:52 am
The DF-2 is great! The best sound with the feedback can be achieved if you run it through another distortion and leave the DF-2's gain at low values.
interesting.... I'll try that!

In general I usually head for mild gains and boosts either stacked or into a just breaking up amp.

I may even reassemble a BOSS BCB-6 (G) board, there's nothing beats that BOSS pedal switch size if you are attempting to sing and tap things on while playing!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:13 am

Could not resist scratching a payday itch with these too beauties.

The OD-2 was listed as "LED not working" and we all know what that means! :lol:
Price was very nice and its black label made in Japan, so that settled it!

The Guyatone I had had before once and traded. This one is in much nicer condition and is one of the few pedals I can recall that has the three modes in compact form, with particular eyes on the "Vibrato", that being a sound I enjoy immensly. I semi-collect this series, the form factor and dual function set them apart from most rivals of the time, inc. BOSS, and the silver tops look quite fancy ;)

Had to buy both as the closing jingle was playing in the shop, not tested yet (bar plugging in the obvious ACA adaptor with the BOSS and thinking "NICE!" :D )
Attachments
image_123927839_1_20.jpg
image_123927839_1_20.jpg (212.18 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:38 am

Oh, these are very clean looking pedals!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:14 am

Yes indeed Pepe, both fairly clean and working well. The Guyatone is a rather overlooked unit I think (as is that "Double-effect" series. I tested both it and the BOSS last night. 

The Guyatone is I feel, mostly a flanger, and a very good one at that. Less metallic than the BF-2, not quite as juicy as a Maxon FL-301. Some evocative 80s sounds, with a great deal of control I think it excels at flanging. Feedback if pushed. The Chorus is similarly airy and light but I wouldn't call it lush or watery, like many 80s chorus' (other than the CE-2/CS-505) it has that closeness to a flanger, no Leslie swirls. The fast rate is not that fast either. The Vibrato likewise is a product of the circuit rather than a main function, the "Manual" control has no effect and Resonance barely any on the Vibrato mode. It's nice but not as broad in scope as a VB-2. All in all the pedal is a nice rival to the CE-3 I think.

The OD-2 plugging in I found to be quite brash, a little boxy. Good for emulating a raggedy small tube amp perhaps, or a Kinks like rough breakup tone. I also enjoyed using it more as a bluey light gain treble boost. Not my favourite OD by a way but interesting. Dialled in with an amp it could serve as a lead boost or alternate drive for spiky parts of a tune. Output on tap is rather low on low gain settings.

Not a bad pair :)

If you love flangers the Guyatone is worth picking up!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:47 am

Great to hear that both units are working great. Some chorus pedals have very short BBD times, that's why they are in the flanger territory most of the time.

This pedal series is interesting. There's a PS-017 Distortion/Chorus in a second-hand shop in the city, sitting in the showcase for at least seven years now (it's a bit too expensive with a price tag of 89 EUR, I think). I believe noone is buying it, because Guyatone is almost unknown in Germany and I think a plate from the chassis is missing.

This model looks interesting as well:

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:21 am

Ah yes. The Distortion Chorus I recall a friend having in our university days. I quite liked it. The Chorus was certainly usable, the distortion, well I can think of very few from the 80s that aren't simply bland to me! That sort of dry dark sound with little in between. Neither good nor bad nor special. Overall the unit is quite nice though and oddly here in Japan not that commonplace. 

The Distortion H is often looked upon as a rival to the HM-2 in the way you have control over scooping and pushing mids etc. I have sold two I recall on that basis or simply as a collectible unit, again not common here and go quite fast, though not for spectacular amounts. Once again it has that dry distortion that doesn't particularly thrill but could sub for a muff with the EQ sculpting. I like the idea of the EQ panel being there and recently that idea has made quite a comeback in the boutique world, such as the JRAD Archer and Billy Gibbons Dunlop fuzz etc.

Note*  I am a poor judge of "Distortion", it's my least favourite "effect", I find them all harsh and heavy on the ears, so take my judgement with a pinch of salt! :D 

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:30 am

From that "01" series or the look-a-like single function silver front Guyatones my personal favorites are:
  • Guyatone PS-010 Compression Sustainer (nice in between from CS-2>CS-3)
    Guyatone PS-011 Distortion Sustainer
    Guyatone PS-012 8 Band Graphic EQ
    Guyatone PS-013 Stereo Chorus (not got yet but tried, great SLOW Leslie)
    Guyatone PS-014 Dual Time Delay (a lovely dark delay with two speed settings with footswitch jack)
    Guyatone PS-015 Over Drive Sonics (gritty TS type with clean blend!)
    Guyatone PS-016 Distortion Limited
    Guyatone PS-017 Distortion & Chorus
    Guyatone PS-018 Flanger/Jet Sound (sought after apparently)
    Guyatone PS-019 Phase Shifter (Very nice all round, PH-1R ish with less sugar).
Last edited by fuzzbuzzfuzz on Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:33 am

Then the "O2"s

Guyatone PS-020 Bass Exciter & Limiter
Guyatone PS-021 Guitar Exciter & Comp. (THIS one was used by some famous J guitarist so goes for a bit)
Guyatone PS-022 3 Band Para. EQ (Just looks retrotastic!)
Guyatone PS-023 Chorus / Flanger / Vibrato (Beautiful flanging without the metallic edge)
Guyatone PS-024 5 Band Harmonic Distortion
Guyatone PS-025 Touch Overdrive (same as the "Overdrive Sonics")
Guyatone PS-026 8 Band Bass-EQ
Guyatone PS-027 Loop & Gate
Guyatone PS-028 Bass-CH Bass Chorus
Guyatone PS-029 Digital-D 12 Bit Delay (great control of high speeds and that lvoely darker 12 bit sound)

A lot of these look very cool so for that reason I may pick a few up!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:37 am

Finally..in the "O3"s

Guyatone PS-030 Fuzz Distortion

The Best (and first) Univox Superfuzz clone/variant in compact form, sorry FZ-2 (though you are magnificent too!)

Guyatone PS-031 X-I Distortion Pro

The Best PRO-Co RAT clone/variant in compact form! (sorry Ibanez FAT Cat) IMHO

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:23 am

Couldn't resist a little addition yesterday after a day out!

Did a bit of a double take given the minty condition. Price higher than I would normally consider but then seeing that most examples are now going for $200 or more(!) for MIJ SD-1s, and the fact it was so clean I thought "it's mine"! ;)

Not yet popped the back open to check which diodes etc, I'll compare to my others and see if my ears can tell me first!

Mar 1986 model.
Attachments
CA059463-FCD6-4F26-9091-9D896602FCF7_20.jpg
CA059463-FCD6-4F26-9091-9D896602FCF7_20.jpg (130.25 KiB) Viewed 1751 times