New BOSS pedals!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:11 am

laurie wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:20 am
Nice! I haven't ever tried a Waza pedal. I'll grab one if it comes up.
And I thought I was the only one. A few of the Waza Craft models are really tempting, but I always hesitate paying for one.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:00 am

Pepe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:11 am
laurie wrote:
And I thought I was the only one. A few of the Waza Craft models are really tempting, but I always hesitate paying for one.
Thumbs.jpg
Thumbs.jpg (7.58 KiB) Viewed 2160 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:51 pm

Here are pictures of my recently acquired and repaired PH-1. Sounds really great and the more I play it the more I'm sure that I will keep this one.

The CS-3 is made in Taiwan, an ACA model with the THAT chip. This one was declared as defective and I got it for a good price at ebay. It turned out to work great, only the potentiometers were a bit noisy. Maybe the seller had no idea that it needs an ACA power supply or the daisy-chain method to work correctly. I still don't like the CS-3, no matter which chip is inside.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:02 pm

Nice pair, Pepe.

I tried a CS-3 about 25-30 years ago ( :shock: ) and wasn't that impressed tbh. Having said that, I didn't have a clue how it worked. Maybe I should give it another go some time.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:05 pm

No, you shouldn't. BOSS could call it the "Noise Stacker".

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:14 pm

:lol:

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:35 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:05 pm
No, you shouldn't. BOSS could call it the "Noise Stacker".
Agreed. The CS-3 made me avoid compressors for years.

Fallen_lassen
SBZ: Silver

Post by Fallen_lassen » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:40 am

It sounds great when used on any drummachine ,gives it the underground tekno sound.

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Re:

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:43 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:51 am
Grabbed a MT-2W for a steal, virtually brand new in the box with all the paperwork. I have zero use for a high gain, metal pedal, but this was both Made and Inspected IJ from 01/2022, would be an easy flip if I chose to sell, so why not jump? I sold dozens upon dozens of these in the 90s to all the metal kids and players, so I knew what the stock sound is all about. Not my thing, too compressed and has that focused, nearly nasal bite to it.

Gotta say, Custom mode is pretty cool, though! With the gain nearly backed all the way off and a little tweak to the tone controls (using ears, not eyes), I was able to coax a pretty cool and usable dirt tone out of it! Played it through my Mesa MKIIA, Fender Bassman Ten, Peavey Special 130 and Marshall DSL50 ( all amps were in clean mode) and it worked and sounded great in all of them. Those 4 amps will pretty much test the 'friendliness' of any dirt pedal, and the flexible EQ on the MT2W made it fall in nicely with all the amps.

Not convinced it's a keeper, but hey, a BOSS pedal is small and stores nicely. I used to have a BOSS ML3 Metal Core, but sold it as it was also pointless for me. On a similar note, I have held on to my 83 Ibanez SM9 Super Metal, as it's legit old, and despite having a lot of gain, it has a pretty cool EQ and I can dial in a dirt tone I like, too. Plus, it's part of the 3 Amigos with my 82 TS9 and 83 SD9.
Current MT-2 and MT-2W are such a different animal than MT-2 from the 90s and early 00s. The current ones have much lower gain op amps in them, so they don't compress into high-speed bee fight territory as easily. I seem to remember the change happening in phases around 2010-2011? There was a period of 1 original op amp and 1 new op amp, and after that it switched to 2 of the new.

My favorite use for the MT-2W is in custom mode as a dirty boost into an overdriven amp, which also happens to be my favorite use for the SM9.
laurie wrote:
I have owned all of them except for the TU-3W. I have mixed feelings about them in general. The dirt pedals tend to be more articulate and have a much lower noise floor than the standard versions. With that in mind, the only one where I like the waza definitively more than the standard is the DM-2W. I find most of them play and feel differently than originals, with slightly different harmonic content, less smoothness, etc. I sold the CE-2W and DC-2W because I preferred my originals. I kept all of the dirt pedals because I see them as different animals than the originals.

The underrated gem of the line is the FZ-1W IMO. It is one of my favorite fuzz pedals.

Pepe

Re: Re:

Post by Pepe » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:34 am

zentropa wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:43 am
I sold the CE-2W and DC-2W because I preferred my originals. I kept all of the dirt pedals because I see them as different animals than the originals.

The underrated gem of the line is the FZ-1W IMO. It is one of my favorite fuzz pedals.
Very, very good information. Now let the FZ-1W hunt begin. ;)