New BOSS pedals!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Re: New BOSS pedals!

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:55 am

laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:34 pm
FRV-1 ... a heck of a pedal. Wish I still had mine.

A DS-2 for $20 - I told you you were getting better deals than me :shock:
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:22 am
it reminded me of the DF-2
It is kind of a distant cousin. DS-2 uses discrete components for the voltage amplifier, rather than an opamp. I think this is the only Boss distortion that is designed like this.

I was beginning to think the bargain days were over, happily proved wrong! :lol:

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:29 pm

Not new boss pedal per se, but I have been tinkering: :ugeek:

1 A fairly vanilla pedal: I just so happened to have all the parts lying around to convert an SD-1 to TS808 specs, so I did! I quite like it actually it just works for doing non-fuzz lead in a live rig.

2 Way more fun: I carefully put a socket in a BF-2, changed a feedback resistor, now it is possible to swap in an MN3204 to convert it to HF-2 specs. Lovely! I think the full on phasey jet swooshing comes out more pleasing on the HF-2, stock BF-2 had a lot of chorus/rotary sounds that I enjoyed though. Admittedly I didnt realize you could tweak the trim pot on stock BF-2 maybe I could've had best of both worlds? Anyways I'll gladly snag up another BF-2 when it comes my way

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:24 pm

Nice!

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:27 am

The ROD-10 is cleaned. And indeed I had an orange replacement knob in my parts bin. Years ago I bought a set of non-original BOSS-type knobs and there is only a slight and neglectable optical difference. The mode selector shaft is bent to the right position again and everything works great.

EDIT: I made a new picture since I found out that the green knob is for the mode selector switch.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:35 pm

That came up really nicely!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:49 pm

Three nice BOSS pedals from two recent deals.

The Japanese OD-2 came in a bundle with a boxed KORG CHR-1 Chorus. I still prefer the OD-2R, so this OD-2 will be up for sale soon.

The Japanese DD-3 came in a bundle with the OS-2 for a good price. The DD-3 is really good looking and it will replace the one that I have kept so far. The OS-2 is from the first year of production (September 1990) and I think that I will keep this one as well.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:43 am

Nice haul, Pepe. I keep meaning to pick up an OS-2. What do you think of it?

I got a gift card for a music shop for my birthday last year but hadn't got around to spending it. I, wrongly it turns out, assumed I could use it on their website so wasn't too worried as the expiry date was looming (it was valid for 12 months). Luckily I didn't leave it until the final day to try to use it on their website and realise it was only valid in-store so headed off into Nottingham at the weekend and came back with an RE-202. Not had much chance to spend too much time with it so far but initial impressions are very good. Lovely sounding delay.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:43 am

RE-202 looks like tons of fun. Congratulations!

The OS-2 isn't exactly one of my favourites, meaning: it doesn't provide that certain distinctive sound that I can only produce with this pedal. But it is a good workhorse. If space is limited you can easily dial in various solid sounds with an OS-2 as your only dirt pedal.

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:38 pm

Interesting, thanks Pepe. That's kind of what's been putting me off. I have quite a few (probably too many...) Boss drive pedals of various types, so possibly already have some of those sounds covered off, and the space saving element isn't really that relevant to me, so having all of that available in a single pedal isn't that necessary.

Having said that, I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually :roll: :lol:

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:47 pm

I paid only a little bit more than 100 EUR for bundle of the OS-2 and the clean looking MIJ DD-3. A few weeks ago I sold my other MIJ DD-3 for 139 EUR, so now I can keep this free OS-2 without any regret.