New Boss IR-2 Amp & Cabinet

bigtone23

Re: New Boss IR-2 Amp & Cabinet

Post by bigtone23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 am

Got it, after 3 1/2 months wait. Well worth it!
Does everything I expected and needed.
Used it with some Sony MDR7506 headphones and went through the various amp/tone platforms. Interestingly, I found two of the Boss MDP models the most to my liking: Clean and Modded.
Clean was big and full. It also sounded great with bass. The Twin setting was phasey, not like what I experience playing through a real Twin. However, Twin had a pretty cool and crunchy tone with the gain turned up. You can kind of get a Mesa Mark thing with the gain up and an EQ in the loop to do the necessary scoop.
Modded was also big sounding. I run the gain pretty low (around 9 o clock) and was able to dial in a dirt tone I liked. Brit was a close 2nd place, and Brown gets the bronze for my dirt preference. Tweed is also a cool crunch mode.
It was nicely reactive to my guitar volume control. The effects loop works great with the DD3/CE5/GE7 plugged into it. Hitting the front end with a BD2 and SD1 resulted in the usual expectations of boosting.
Plus, dirt pedals sounded and reacted like they should into the various amp models.
Well done!

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 pm

Glad the wait was worth it bigtone23!

Still waiting for them to come back into stock over here so I can pick one up.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm

BearBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 pm
Glad the wait was worth it bigtone23!

Still waiting for them to come back into stock over here so I can pick one up.
I bet they are on the way! Seems that the initial run sold out and it took this much time to get the next run built.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 am

The BCB30 headphone/direct amp!
Only way to make this more convenient is to mount it up.
Put an '88 long chip DD3 in the IR2 loop, but this might get swapped for a GE7, as either pedal is quite useful. Also, a TU3W (with buffer bypassed-a cool feature) in there, too, because you always need a tuner. :D I have a Hotone EKO delay, it fits in the small, square compartment. It's also the only delay that fits on my main small board, and is needed there. Perhaps I find another and then I can have the GE7 in the DD3 spot.
It's been great, I just put any other pedal I want to use before this pedalboard. Much more convenient vs the big ol' V-Twin into the TC Impulse and then into a headphone amp.