New Boss IR-2 Amp & Cabinet

Ptak
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: New Boss IR-2 Amp & Cabinet

Post by Ptak » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:06 pm

I'm GASsing on this one too. Haven't been able to use my amp loud regularly for a while now due to certain circumstances and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Really sounds nice to have my board with this on the end of chain, headphones in while everyone is sleeping. ;)

zentropa
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:38 pm

I have been thinking about getting one of these since I like the idea of them, but at this time I doubt I would ever use it with my current needs. With that being said, most of my pedals barely get used, so what's one more?

I have a feeling I will end up waiting to get one used/undervalued unless I start doing something where it would really make sense to have one.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:45 am

Put in the order for one.
Had to.
I really want to have a nice, usable Marshall-type thing for my amp sim pedal. Plus, I want it to be simple to set up, mostly by having a headphone jack. The IR2 has a LOT of settings/platforms, all very useful, and there are a few flavors of Marshall/Marshall adjacent amps. Plus, the IRs are easily manipulated. I'm sure I will like it, it's BOSS, which has proven time and time again to provide a very useful, middle of the road tone that suits 80% of the players.

The Marshall sound on my Walrus ACS-1 "London" setting is based on the 1962 Bluesbreaker. It's cool and clearly Marshall, but the Bluesbreaker is not as aggressive and tight as the Super Lead/Brown settings on the Lion, which are more up my alley. The cranked Plexi/JTM or JCM800 2203/JCM2000 DSL thing is what I like. It's fairly easy to upload different IRs, too, though I'm happy with one of the native cabs on it. It also has the headphone jack, which is great. No effects loop, though, which is not a big deal, but the 1962 is not totally my thing. I can get the 1962 to react better by using a pedal in front of it, but now I'm using two pedals to get my thing.

To go deeper on the Marshall front, I tried out a UA Lion and was very blown away by it. Killer Marshall sounds and response. The catch: no headphone jack and the cab IRs are sort of limited. It really kills it as an amp replacement, but I do need to keep it simple and just have a headphone jack and a great IR loaded up. To get exactly what I liked and needed, I had to run the Lion into my TC Impulse for the cab and then the trusty, old Peavey HB1 headphone amp. It was already a small pedalboard with these 3 pedals, with no extra effects added. As great as the Lion is, it's too much to deal with.

Fingers crossed with the IR2, but I have a very positive outlook on it. All the other BOSS products that offer a few amp platforms (like the Katanas) have all been great for me.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

Well...
Going on nearly 3 months waiting for my IR2 to arrive! Seemingly, BOSS is inbetween production runs, as many places don't have them, and they are popping up used for nearly new prices.
I'm patient, been looking forward to this, and still have my two other IR 'amp' rigs in the meantime, though they are both not 100% as convenient as the IR2.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am
Well...
Going on nearly 3 months waiting for my IR2 to arrive! Seemingly, BOSS is inbetween production runs, as many places don't have them, and they are popping up used for nearly new prices.
I'm patient, been looking forward to this, and still have my two other IR 'amp' rigs in the meantime, though they are both not 100% as convenient as the IR2.
I have seen a lot of people trying to charge more than new price for the used ones. I believe 2 of my local shops have them in stock if you get impatient and want me to grab one and ship it out.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

zentropa wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm
bigtone23 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am
Well...
I have seen a lot of people trying to charge more than new price for the used ones. I believe 2 of my local shops have them in stock if you get impatient and want me to grab one and ship it out.
Thank you for the kind offer. The one I'm waiting on was ordered up for $160 total. A great deal, I'll wait. Plus, I was told this should ship in the next two weeks.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm

That is a great deal.

I plan to get one of these but also plan to wait until I can snag a used one for $100-120, or to get it as a bday or xmas gift.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:39 am

If one popped up for under my price, I'd snag it.
It's like the BB1X, when it came out almost 10 years ago, they were around $160ish new. I liked it, but decided to wait. About 3 months later, one popped up used on ebay for $65 shipped. I jumped on that. Very happy with it. For years, they were rarely seen selling for less than $85.

Gasgano

Post by Gasgano » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:29 pm

Yup. The BB-1X is one of those that are a rare find for a decent price.

Got two of them for a realatively cheap price and I'm a happy camper.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:49 am

My IR-2 will be here on Tuesday! Can't wait!!