Forum suggestions

Welcome former SBZ members, and all new members! Rule changes will be listed here.
skugga
badge: SBZ Founder
SBZ: Gold

Re: Forum suggestions

Post by skugga » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:08 am

BearBoy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:16 pm
I know Skugga was facing some challenges keeping the forum running but I don't think he was necessarily intending to take the whole SBZ site down? I got the impression he was going to covert it to a read only resource. May have got that wrong though.
Time challenges more than anything. I don't have time to do the work required to ensure SBZ is viable in the years to come. Rather than have the SBZ Forum wither and collapse like BA. I thought it was better to be up front about it and let the community decide what it wanted to do.

The current setup here at BAF is going to have the same problems in a few months as it's only configured for HTTP not HTTPS.

The decoder isn't going anywhere. If anything it's the part of SBZ that will get more work done on it going forward. It's totally separate to the forum software.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:29 am

Really nice to see that there are absolutely no bad vibes from your side, skugga! 8-)

Let's see if the guys who run all the phpBB sites are working on something to ensure that the swap to https will work smoothly. I have no insight or knowledge about these technical things, though, so please don't hit me, but I truly cannot imagine that thousands and millions of other fora are doomed.

EDIT: I just used Google and found a few instructions how to proceed to make a phpBB forum work with https. It doesn't sound like the most complicated thing at all. But I don't know if it's more of a struggle with some older versions ... as said, I really know nothing about that; I'm only a bit sceptical (and naïve). ;)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Admin
Site Admin
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by Admin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:45 am

I'd like to assure the board members that any required work will be completed. Fortunately our new board is running the most recent forum software, which is easily converted to https (secure). It's not at the top of the to-do list, but it will happen. In the mean time, some browsers might say your login info is not secure, but that's always been the case for most forums. It's just recently been the policy of web browsers to bring it to your attention. This website doesn't store any important info, so you really have nothing to lose in the mean time.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:11 am

skugga wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:08 am
I don't have time to do the work required to ensure SBZ is viable in the years to come. Rather than have the SBZ Forum wither and collapse like BA. I thought it was better to be up front about it and let the community decide what it wanted to do.
Hello Skugga. Firstly, Welcome! I'm glad to see you have joined the board. I appreciate all you've done for the community these past years. I also respect the fact that due to time constraints you gave the board forewarning of an impending closing. The community wanted to continue on, and it has. The community had hoped to carry over the previous information from the former forum - and that's where the community felt as if they weren't given a chance to decide.

If you're willing to share the data, I could host it, update it to the current board software, and get the SSL certificate. I have the time and am willing to do it, just as you had helped us after the original Bossarea collapse. I'm just putting the offer out there, either way, I hope you are apart of our future here.

Ptak

Post by Ptak » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:58 am

My suggestions would be to add the "Technical Questions/Discussions" sub category back as there's already repair/mod talks going in the Boss category. It's nice to keep them grouped.

Other than that maybe we could get the :banana: and :lama: back plus all the other missing smilies? Our old banana mascot looks like he matured to the perfect ripeness on this board. :lol: Cheers.

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:25 am

Admin wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:45 am
I'd like to assure the board members that any required work will be completed. Fortunately our new board is running the most recent forum software, which is easily converted to https (secure). It's not at the top of the to-do list, but it will happen. In the mean time, some browsers might say your login info is not secure, but that's always been the case for most forums. It's just recently been the policy of web browsers to bring it to your attention. This website doesn't store any important info, so you really have nothing to lose in the mean time.
Simple nginx proxy in front of the real website, problem solved (assuming you are running the forum on a virtual private server or similar). No need to dick around with phpBB if switching to HTTPS is going to be difficult (which in itself can't be that bad anyways)

:D

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Ptak wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:58 am
My suggestions would be to add the "Technical Questions/Discussions" sub category back as there's already repair/mod talks going in the Boss category. It's nice to keep them grouped.

Other than that maybe we could get the :banana: and :lama: back plus all the other missing smilies? Our old banana mascot looks like he matured to the perfect ripeness on this board. :lol: Cheers.
I do want to add more categories. I do intend to add additional catagories as they're subjects not covered on the board that are related to music, such as recording. I just have to decide what can be grouped together. Yes, more smilies will be added when I get the chance.

Sclitheroe - I'll look into those options. The board is a bit constrained in choices due to the hosting site not being compatible with some of the easier (cheaper) options.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:04 am

Sorry for my absence. I tend to throw myself into my work at the cost of staying in communication with those around me- I apologize. I hope this did not have an affect on the board. To make sure the board stays running smoothly I have added an Administrator (Pepe). I hope to focus more attention on getting everything in order.

To cut down on spam I may add the requirement of needing permission to post once a new member registers.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:13 am

That's a good idea that I wanted to suggest as well. The spambots are very active lately.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Congrats admin, Pepe!! :P