Fender "Evil Twin" (The Twin) amp - thoughts?

Amps, Cabs, Speakers, etc
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Fender "Evil Twin" (The Twin) amp - thoughts?

Post by laurie » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:18 pm

I have a chance to pick one up reasonably priced. Anyone have one or have used one? Thoughts?

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Re: Fender "Evil Twin" (The Twin) amp - thoughts?

Post by sclitheroe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:43 pm

The RE-20 compact will sound great with it :D

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:55 pm

A band mate of one of my bosses had an old Fender Twin Reverb. I liked it a lot.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:46 am

sclitheroe wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:43 pm
The RE-20 compact will sound great with it :D
haha.jpg
haha.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 14492 times

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:38 am

people often confuse the Red knob twin with the evil. The evil was a later black knob thing designed by Randall ( i think) .

i have never tried an evil, but i had a red knob Dual Showman (basically the twin in head form) and it was a fantastic super loud clean amp. tested at 130Watts. heaos of switchable functionality and really well built. I never had a problem with it. id buy another in a heartbeat
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

visserman

Post by visserman » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:22 pm

laurie wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:18 pm
I have a chance to pick one up reasonably priced. Anyone have one or have used one? Thoughts?

Have used them many times in the early 90s, as that was the amp you saw in venues when people could not bring their own amp.
I believe it is the one with the red controls, but not sure.
I think the difference lies in that the one with red controls does have more power, but it is simply has the sound of a twin with added (useful) features.

I think you know the sound of a twin eh? Why not try it before you buy it, if that is a option??

Luke Drifter mentioned Paul Rivera, who used to design amps for fender at the back end of the CBS period, early 80s.
I have a London Reverb from this period, also designed by Rivera, and basically it is a Twin, with lots more options and very useful features.
It is not valve and does have one 12 inch speaker instead of the two 12s a Twin has.
Just mention this because I am not aware of Rivera also being behind the Red control Twin, but it could be true who knows eh?.

I can remember there was a page full of all the models Paul Rivera, cannot find it today but I found something here on Reverb about the Red knob Twin:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/48697750-fen ... 0-s-rivera

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:25 pm

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... ns.275059/

quote John Phillips:

These amps were not designed by Rivera nor have anything to do with the ones he did design for Fender, whatsoever.

Rivera designed (or more accurately, supervised) the 'II' series of 1982-1985, which included the Concert and Twin Reverb II. These are the last PTP-wired amps Fender made (apart from the recent Custom Shop amps).

Fender then ceased amp production for about three years when CBS sold the company.

The Red-Knob series were the new FMIC's first amp line, introduced in 1988, and have nothing in common with any previous Fender, in any way from the circuit design to the build methods. They were designed as new from the ground up.

I don't know why people get the Rivera and Red-Knob series confused, they're about as different as any amps ever made by two different companies, let alone ones that say Fender on.

Also, these amps are not the 'Evil Twin', which came afterwards and is different again (much better-sounding IMO), although it retains some of the good features - yes, there are some! - introduced on the Red-Knobs... like a quarter-power switch, external bias test points and adjusters, multi-impedance selectable outputs, and a three-level FX loop.
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:34 am

Incredibly loud clean amps, you'll certainly need (or like) some pre-amp pedals and drives to soften the impact of any fuzz hitting the front end.

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:54 am

Hmmm.... yeeeeessss.... but my enquiry was from February last year. The opportunity is long gone ;)