Katana recording to Cubase issues

Amps, Cabs, Speakers, etc
TheProgram

Katana recording to Cubase issues

Post by TheProgram » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi there.

I have recently bought the mk2 Boss Katana 100z head and I am trying to set things so I can recording guitars on my tracks created in Cubase 11.

I have the Katana set up to my laptop as instructed via the USB cable. These method is seen as better and easier than using the line out or rec out options.

The YouTube videos I have seen that in most DAWs you merely got into the preferences section change the input I/O to Katana and then leave the output I/O as your audio interface soundcard so I can listen to things via my headphones (in my case a newly purchased Steinberg UR22C unit). This is what I want to do ideally.

In the Studio set up section of Cubase I seem to be able only choose a single source, either Katana or the UR22C sound card. I cannot seem to split them. If I select Katana then create a track and strum the guitar I get a sound response on the mix console (so assume that is set up ok?), however I cannot hear what is played back through my headphones via the UR22C. Also, when I test record on this audio track and then play back nothing is recorded, so this could be a separate issue. :frowning:

The above is with the amp on standby mode which is recommended. If I turn the amp to use the small inbuilt speaker then I can hear what is played. For silent recording do I just put my headphone jack into the amp direct and listen from there and forget the UR22C? I will hear the guitar that way but not the rest of the track that is playing. I need to use headphones due to a) not having monitors and b) needing to be quiet due to sleeping kids.

I am going round in circles to get this all to work. I am a bit of a newb to excuse the stupidity. Any help anyone can give would be massively appreciated.

TP

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: Katana recording to Cubase issues

Post by fernieite » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Sorry, no help from me, I'm afraid. Hopefully, someone will have some good suggestions.

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! :)
Last edited by fernieite on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheProgram

Re: Katana recording to Cubase issues

Post by TheProgram » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:42 pm

I sorted it. Realised that in Cubase you cannot have a split I/O in and I/O out unlike other DAWs. They need to be the same. So the USB connection method is out. So I used the rec out/ phone jack into my UR22C and used that for both in and out. After some tweaking I got this to record and be audible via the phones. Great success. Hopefully this is useful to someone else.

Thanks for the welcome also. ;)