HNPAD - Monoprice 300-Watt (150w RMS x2) Studio Audio Amplifier

Amps, Cabs, Speakers, etc
tunghaichuan
SBZ: Silver

HNPAD - Monoprice 300-Watt (150w RMS x2) Studio Audio Amplifier

Post by tunghaichuan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:09 am

Got this today via FedEx

A 150wX2 Class D power amp from Monoprice. 1U rack space.

It was my Black Friday purchase this year.

It puts out 100WPC into my 8 ohm Thiele cabs. It will put out 150WPC into 4 ohm loads.

I ran several pieces of gear through it including the DOD G7 preamp I got last week, three Boss pedals (HM-3, BC-2, MT-2), Peavy VSS-20 stereo amp (has stereo preamp outs) and the preamp out of my Rexx 1602 amp into a Digitech 256XL multi FX processor.

I got the best results from the BC-2 pedal. I love the sound of that pedal, it sounds very good with my Warmoth strat copy. The HM-3 sounded pretty good too, which surprised me as I'm not a big fan of that pedal. I have it more as a collector's item. The Rexx amp sounded pretty good, but the stock Digitech patches are way over the top, as with a lot of those FX processors. The Peavey and DOD were meh. One weird thing is that the stereo chorus was actually quieter running the preamp outs from the Peavey into the power amp. When the Peavy power amp outputs (10WPC) were plugged directly into the speakers, the chorus got really noisey. Weird.

The Monoprice amp is typical of a stereo, solid state, Class D amp. It's very neutral and doesn't color the sound at all. There is some noise from the internal fan, which some reviews of the amp have complained about, but really it was no more louder or obnoxious than the fan in the MosValve amp I had a while back. The Monoprice amp definitely does not sound as good or as warm as the MosValve amps.

It's worth a look if anyone needs a lot of cheap, clean power.
Attachments
momoprice power amp.JPG
momoprice power amp.JPG (36.6 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

visserman

Re: HNPAD - Monoprice 300-Watt (150w RMS x2) Studio Audio Amplifier

Post by visserman » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am

When you ran the preamp out with the Chorus bcack into the power amp it was lower in volume, maybe because the preamp out does not have a volume. Do I understand this well, sounds like you were using the pre amp out as a effects loop?

The noise of the internal van is probably not that noticeable once you start playing.

Yes power amps have their own Mojo compared to just normal amplifier. I have some amps modded to give the option of bypassing the preamp. For some pedals this set-up works very well. It gives you a good idea of the sound of the pedal. But then the overall sound of your set-up comes from Speakers, Guitar, Pedal and Amp, not just the power amp. Just using power amp gives you, sometimes, the feel there is something missing.