Strymon Blue Sky - very early version mechanical repair

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Strymon Blue Sky - very early version mechanical repair

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

I picked up a non-working Strymon Blue Sky V1. Very early - the boards are marked 2009.

The "Mix" pot had been smashed - very common on Strymon pedals. One good drop onto the knob and the pot is toast.

The footswitches were acting weird.

Replaced the mix pot - this is straightforward and the part is available form Strymon.

The switches, however, are non-standard. I'm guessing that these very early versions had a lot of mechanical problems so Strymon changed to the current solderless switches in the 2010's.

One of the switches disintegrated when I dismantled the pedal. Seemed straightforward. But no. Replacement switches made things worse.

2 days of headscratching later... and this is what is happening.

The foot switches are soldered directly to the main board. This is 100% a no-no. Every time you step on the switch the metal housing flexes just a little and over time the circuit board is damaged.

What was happening in my pedal was the "plate through" from the front to back of the board had been damaged by the flexing, and the connectivity was lost, even with the new switch soldered in.

Even worse, when I tried to inspect and fix the problem, some of the plate-through copper cylinders simply fell out.

When this happens, the circuit is broken (no connection between the top and bottom of the board), and things stop working.
Plate-through.jpg
Plate-through.jpg (55.39 KiB) Viewed 438 times

The fix is to provide a jumper from top to bottom of the board to reestablish the connection.

The pic below is my temporary fix to confirm the pedal actually works. It does. Now I just need to make the jumpers and put the pedal back together.
Blue Sky SML.jpg
Blue Sky SML.jpg (259.45 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Last edited by laurie on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Strymon Blue Sky - very early version mechanical repair

Post by Pepe » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Oh, that's really a bad design!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

Fixed now. Fully functional. Had to create my own "vias" through the holes that had lost the plate-through. Fiddly and time consuming, but rescued a pedal that was destined for the parts-bin.

laurie

Post by laurie » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 pm

To give the complete internals view in case anyone needs it - the other side of the boards:
Blue Sky SML2.jpg
Blue Sky SML2.jpg (339.98 KiB) Viewed 412 times

laurie

Post by laurie » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 pm

Back in one piece:
Blue Sky SML3.jpg
Blue Sky SML3.jpg (149.72 KiB) Viewed 412 times

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:23 am

Wow excellent in death rebuild thread there Laurie, great job. 👏

Yes absolute pet hate (amongst many others), pots and switches directly connected to a pcb board and receiving weight :o

This also extends to the power jacks as they get constant abuse with unplugging/plugging in (especially if there’s wiggle room around the housing/fitting of the jack and pressure flexes the pcb solder joints it’s attached too. I have had a few Visual Sound pedals with that problem.