The "best buy" pedal ever, non-Boss

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Goran

The "best buy" pedal ever, non-Boss

Post by Goran » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:56 am

As I, and most of you, have bought many pedals over the years, not just Boss compacts, what is the best pedal you ever bought?
In my case it´s Zoom MS-50G, I´ve had it for a couple of years and it´s always in my pedal chain, always.
It´s a "multi-pedal" like the Boss floor-units, but very compact.
But I use it mostly as a "one-pedal", how nice to have at your feet a multiple of pedals that there aren´t space for at your board? Vibe, strange delays, auto-wah, vibrato etc etc, and they sound quite good too. Plus a tuner! Plus some very nice reverbs, of high quality. And this pedal is about the size of TU-2.....
I´ve tested it with a true-bypass-pedal, it don´t suck tone at all, and that´s good!

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar ... itar-pedal

Gasgano
SBZ: Silver

Re: The "best buy" pedal ever, non-Boss

Post by Gasgano » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:56 pm

Is this a post where we all share our prefered non-Boss pedal? I would think it's a great idea.

If we're going that way, I'll have to mention my Mini-Maverick Optical Wah from Morley.

It's the only non-Boss pedal on all my boards, but I love the small footprint and modern wah tone it has. Wouldn't change it unless Boss comes out with a compact sized auto-on optical wah.

Of course, it's built for a more "metal" sound, but it suits me well.
"People who are late are usually in a better mood than the people waiting for them to show up."

Kulten
SBZ: Copper

Post by Kulten » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:45 pm

Non BOSS : the George Dennis Wha+ was amazing with my bass guitar. I also had the Zoom 708II wich is so easy to use with so much efficients effects, and looks cool too, it is what a Boss ME-30 for bass should have been.
Last edited by Kulten on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:36 pm

For me it must be my Keeley modified TS-9 Tubescreamer. I never leave home without it :D

SteamAbacus

Post by SteamAbacus » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:39 pm

My best buy would have to be the Award-Session Sessionmaster JD10

I have four of them! One is my 'base' low gain overdrive on my main pedalboard (speaker emulation switched off), with other drives stacked into it for heavier drive sounds. I have two set up clean for stereo eq and speaker emulation at the end of the chain for direct recording into the desk. Then I have a fourth for taking 'out and about' as a very portable multi-use overdrive, pre-amp, di box speaker emulator - gets used all the time if I'm not using an amp and often if I am! :)

http://effectextra.blogspot.com/2013/08 ... -jd10.html

They are no longer made but can be found used fairly easily. Prices are creeping up but none of mine cost more than £45 other than the very first which was £100 from a shop (new, ex-display in about 1995)

BenF

Post by BenF » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm

I dont have a great deal of pedal experience nor the funds to obtain it so I nominate my trusty Digitech RP50.

It does feel cheap but then again I have had it years its been bashed around and has suffered no ill effects (pun intended). It has a few annoying quirks like what effects you can and cant group together but given it cost me £14 I have to consider it my "best buy".

I got it because the faff factor of setting up my guitar when I have such little space meant I hardly played at all for years, this chappie changed that.
I made some tools to date equipment :-
Boss pedals - Roland stuff - DOD pedals - Ibanez pedals - Pots and speakers

tunghaichuan

Post by tunghaichuan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:38 am

Back in the late '80s I bought an original Ibanez TS-808 for $32US. I sold it a few years later for $100 and thought I was getting a good deal. Had I only known then what I know now. :(

Joske Turbo
Bossarea: Gold

Post by Joske Turbo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 pm

The one I’ve had the longest is my EHX Holy Grail, it’s an always on pedal for me and never leaves the board. But the non-Boss pedal I love the most must be the Ibanez DE7. It’s an awesome delay, especially for the price. I have the limited edition pink version which makes it even cooler :D

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Difficult to choose between several, all bought this year. After years of not buying stuff, I had the good fortune to be able to expand my collection. I nominate the following - three - as equal first for a variety of reasons:

Digitech Whammy DT - A glitch free, polyphonic pitch shifter/harmonizer with very little latency. Add in the momentary switch, and the "Anti Chorus" detune which spawned the Luxe, it's a wonderfully versatile box.

Alexander F-13N - Possibly the most versatile flanger ever built, outside of a rack/software unit. Four distinct modes, almost limitless tweakability and the option to store up to 16 presets via MIDI. Everything from "Walking on the Moon" to What the hell is that? In one MXR sized box.

Strymon El Capistan - All the sweetness of tape delay with none of the pain, in one small box. Added value with hidden parameter controls allow you to go from a bright, pristine new tape to a completely battered, worn out and generally knackered unit at the turn of a dial.

I honestly can't choose between the three of 'em because I can't imagine being without them.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 am

Joske Turbo wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 pm
The one I’ve had the longest is my EHX Holy Grail, it’s an always on pedal for me and never leaves the board. But the non-Boss pedal I love the most must be the Ibanez DE7. It’s an awesome delay, especially for the price. I have the limited edition pink version which makes it even cooler :D
Haha now I know it’s pink I want one!! 😁👌