Korg AX30G

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Korg AX30G

Post by laurie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:39 am

@pepe - what do you think of this unit?

I have an opportunity to buy one reasonably priced.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Korg AX30G

Post by Pepe » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:38 am

My very first effects pedal! 😍 Bought used in 1999 at a pawn shop for 260 Deutsche Mark, which was an incredibly high sum for me at the age of 18 (equivalent to ~300 EUR today). It served for lots of great out-of-this-world sounds as well as classic guitar tones for a few years and I learned a LOT about several effects types through it.

I can absolutely recommend it. Presets like Hyper Zone, Dark Side, Planet X and Wave Seq. can be jaw-dropping. Last year I bought a beat-up unit, fixed it and gave it to my brother and he was surprised how good this thing is (he also likes those wacky synth-like presets).

Programming is pretty easy once you get the hang of the menus and the effects chains. With the display you can see all the parameters at a glance and the controls with the wheel and the few knobs are very intuitive.

The "Pressure"-Pedal is pretty much unusable in factory state. When I tried my used unit for the first time I thought it was broken. I can only recommend opening the pedal and removing the small rubber block that makes you need to press down the pedal with strong force (the reviewers in the '90s criticised that you cannot really use the Pressure function when you sit). The "Pressure" pedal can be used for several effects, also for tap delay or for a hold delay (it served as my first short looper effect!). You can also use it for wah or pitch shifter, even for the phaser that you can use like a wah pedal or change the speed ... You can see it all at page 13 in the manual.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:53 pm

What do you think a reasonable price is?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:03 pm

I had said 40 to 50 EUR, maybe more if in excellent state, because these are the prices in the local ads here in Germany. But I see that prices of sold AX30G units at Reverb and ebay in the USA are higher than that. What is the offer that you have there?

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:18 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:03 pm
I had said 40 to 50 EUR, maybe more if in excellent state, because these are the prices in the local ads here in Germany. But I see that prices of sold AX30G units at Reverb and ebay in the USA are higher than that. What is the offer that you have there?
USD$67

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:41 pm

Is it a local deal and can you try it out before buying it? I have VERY nostalgic feelings for this unit, and I don't know if these help you too much. ;)

This video isn't too bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4K3WQ567Q