NPD - Guyatone FL-3 Micro Flanger

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

NPD - Guyatone FL-3 Micro Flanger

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:43 am

Just pushed the buy button on a Micro Series Flanger from Guyatone, early/mid 90s.

Despite being not my favourite effect, this seemed at a good price (about half of what they go for online) and I love the pink retro graphic-ed enclosure! Reading into it, it features an unusual asymmetrical sweep and a 3-position depth switch too which may produce a few shades I have yet to experience. I generally prefer "lush" and "sweet" rather than "metallic" and "cold" so let's see....

Browsing about I also found this interesting old thread on another forum detailing some flangers from Japan and the various chipsets employed, quite a good read :)

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/o ... rs.117028/

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: NPD - Guyatone FL-3 Micro Flanger

Post by Pepe » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:21 am

From what I can see here the FL3 Flanger has a switch for the resonance, not for the depth. I suppose that it is "off" in position 1. Not the worst solution for a two-knob-pedal.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:31 pm

cool! Probably the same "asymmetrical sweep" from the PS2 PS3 phaser that I've come to rely on (thanks again!) . If you do have a chance to peek under the hood, what chip is in the FL3?

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 am

chromandre wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:31 pm
cool! Probably the same "asymmetrical sweep" from the PS2 PS3 phaser that I've come to rely on (thanks again!) . If you do have a chance to peek under the hood, what chip is in the FL3?
I'll be sure to check when it arrives:)

The Ps-2 has shot up in value here. I keep thinking to sell my Mircros but i do like the cute coloured bug look and they are quite handysapce wise. More stable than the usual "nano" enclosures that seem to tip over even when velcroed.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:45 am

Pepe wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:21 am
From what I can see here the FL3 Flanger has a switch for the resonance, not for the depth. I suppose that it is "off" in position 1. Not the worst solution for a two-knob-pedal.
Yes, that's right, thanks.

Most of the "3s" seem to be rebadged "2s" in that series but some do feature the mini switch upgrade in the centre and perhaps a circuit tweak. I did read the two tremolos are different styles but I can't confirm it...yet. lol

I missed some MO-2 Octaves boxed a year or so back...ouch!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue May 02, 2023 2:13 am

Isn't she pretty? Finally arrived yesterday and I had a chance to give her a short whirl.

Firstly, I love the looks, delectable pink with a retro 80s flair. Additionally, it is a rather wonderful condition. I don't recall seeing an awful lot of Micro Flangers over here in this series, so a welcome addition to the collection. 

Sounds : Prepare for an avalanche of subjective adjectives!

YES > Flutey, wispy, lush, 80s, light, sweet 
NO > Metallic, jet plane, dark

The FL-3 seems to emphasize the high-end frequencies and shelve off quite a lot of bass. In that respect it instantly recalls mid 80s tunes, floaty ethereal melodies but not a deep throaty flange. The resonance switch offers three modes which are quite useful and cover a lot of ground. Due possibly to the asynchronous rise and fall there is a palpable tremolo effect at certain settings. So those are the pluses.

Downside - like many of the modulation effects in the Guyatone Micro series it suffers from background noise when engaged, a "sssssh" that's constant. On lighter settings clean tone wise that's fine but add any gain or switch to the resonance setting 3 and it quickly becomes annoying.  With a battery its a tad reduced but overall, like my MC-2 & 3 it's there. Whether a cap change or some filtering circuit could be applied I don't know. I have read that early Guyatones (with analogue BBD circuitry for example) also suffer from noise. I will take it to a studio at some point with my board as my house is not the best place for noise. Additionally, the type of power supply and whether power is shared with different effects also matters.

Overall, I'd give it 7.5/10. In general, it's my kind of flanger, sweet and non-metallic.

Further note: the FL-3 sound reminded me of my Maxon Fl-301, so I pulled out the smaller box 301 version I have to compare. That is an 18v unit and bar UFO noises when engaged/not playing(!), is a thoroughly lush unit that is to my mind a benchmark. It has the FL-3 sweetness but with the deeper full spectrum EQ and a richness. My only dislike is that the pot reaches a max speed very suddenly right at the very end of the rotation. Anyway, a useful exercise. I shall keep the FL-3 for now and see how it fares in the studio later.
Attachments
image_6483441.JPG
image_6483441.JPG (139.37 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue May 02, 2023 5:00 am

Cute! I hadn't imagined that those pedals can carry a 9V battery inside.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Wed May 03, 2023 6:57 pm

Cool! I wonder if its technically a "high band" flanger