Historical Info Site

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

Historical Info Site

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:51 am

Stumbled across this really wonderful timewarp site that hosts the reviews of old magazines, mostly 80s/90s. Really fascinating the prices and opinions as items were released.

For example here is the Chorus line-up around the time of the BOSS CE-3 release

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/a-chorus-line-up/7053

Interesting those taht get praised and those that fail to!

For example the RAK-1 (the Korean(?) BOSS copy) > CE-2! (probably price)

And my Lord the prices are eye watering for now let alone back in the mid 80s :o

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Re: Historical Info Site

Post by The_Doc » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:10 am

I’ve got boxes full of old music mags in the loft. I was looking for something else last week and came across some. The prices of guitars were just as eye wateringly low ! A brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard for £500 anyone :shock:

This is a really interesting source of historical info and thanks for sharing it. I love this stuff. :D

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:06 pm

Great resource! Thank you.

I was a kid in school haunting my local guitar store when the early Boss compact pedals came out. I remember the buzz around the DD-2... no one had seen such a thing before. While the dollar value at the time now seems quaint (around USD$100), the price was eyewatering - about $250 in 2023 dollars (especially for a student).

Feedbacker
SBZ: Copper

Post by Feedbacker » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks, that's a great resource!
I used to love 'Making Music' magazine - large format, full colour and completely free from (UK) music shops!
And I admired their cheek claiming to be 'Britain's Biggest Music Magazine' (or something similar) in that it was, indeed, the physically largest format one around :mrgreen:

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:49 am

The_Doc wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:10 am
I’ve got boxes full of old music mags in the loft. I was looking for something else last week and came across some. The prices of guitars were just as eye wateringly low ! A brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard for £500 anyone :shock:

This is a really interesting source of historical info and thanks for sharing it. I love this stuff. :D
Me too, love it, could delve all day!!!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:50 am

Feedbacker wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:19 am
Thanks, that's a great resource!
I used to love 'Making Music' magazine - large format, full colour and completely free from (UK) music shops!
And I admired their cheek claiming to be 'Britain's Biggest Music Magazine' (or something similar) in that it was, indeed, the physically largest format one around :mrgreen:
Yes, I miss the print era to be fair, much easier to locate a pertinant article, and you'd read around different subeject areas of the magazine, cover to cover.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:53 am

laurie wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:06 pm
Great resource! Thank you.

I was a kid in school haunting my local guitar store when the early Boss compact pedals came out. I remember the buzz around the DD-2... no one had seen such a thing before. While the dollar value at the time now seems quaint (around USD$100), the price was eyewatering - about $250 in 2023 dollars (especially for a student).
Absolutely. I bemoan the current prices but looking back some of those simple pedals were incredibly pricey (DOD FX-45 Reverb!) for what they did.
In my "era" of the late 90s, I recall BOSS were the top of the tree, but a coveted DD-3 was at least 90 pounds used and that was barely much less than what I had bought an electric guitar for! 
I live in "Yen" now and I'm sure if I converted back to pounds I'd be balking at most purchases even now. Sometimes I force myself just to shock myself into thinking :D

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:48 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:53 am
I live in "Yen" now and I'm sure if I converted back to pounds I'd be balking at most purchases even now.
I dunno mate... I've converted your purchase prices into CAD$ and some of the them have been way better than I can find here on a good day!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:52 pm

Wow! Great site!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:38 pm

laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:48 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:53 am
I live in "Yen" now and I'm sure if I converted back to pounds I'd be balking at most purchases even now.
I dunno mate... I've converted your purchase prices into CAD$ and some of the them have been way better than I can find here on a good day!
Yes true, used wise the system for at least shops is quite good, essentially it seems a used price is to be about half of the new price almost regardles of condition. For buyers great. For sellers on the other hand the shop would only offer 1/3rd or less of the value.

The sheer volume of electronic goods means availablity is high (compared to the UK for example), on that basis if I wait long enough and visit enough stores on my travels items can pop up and occasionally they can be snagged at a lower price.

On the downside certain US makes such as EHX seem (historically) to get taxed and the prices seem a bit higher than I'd expect, and things like DOD are less common on the used market, whcih now has a "collectors" vibe to it, and prices have risn beyond those in the states.

Of course the Yen value helps right now.

Canada always seems challenging!

Swings and roudabouts I suppose!