The Tremolo Thread

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

The Tremolo Thread

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:42 am

I thought I would add a thread on the subject of one of my pedal afflictions: the wonderful world of Tremolo-o-o-o-o!

I can't help but pick up one every now and again out of curiosity (and joy!), so perhaps if anyone is considering a purchase this may help them out.

Currently my spreadsheet tells me I own these :)

O BBE Tremor
O BOSS PN-2 Tremolo / Pan (x2)
O Catlinbread Stereo Sephamore
O Colorsound Tremolo
O Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
O Dunlop TS-1 Tremolo
O Dunlop TVP-1 Tremolo Volume (x3)
O Guyatone VT-2 Vintage Tremolo
O Ibanez FP-777 Flying Pan (Reissue)
O Ibanez TL5 Tremolo Soundtank Series
O Malekko Omicron Tremolo
O Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000
O Maxon Stereo Box
O No Brand (Tremolo - Colorsound/EHX?)
O Seymour-Duncan SFX-07 Shape Shifter
O SIB! The Treminator
O Uecks Tremolo
O VOX CT-06TR Cooltron Vibravox
O Fuchs (Plush) Creme de la Trem (junk)
O Electro-Harmonix The Worm (big box)

And in the past...

X BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
X EBK Tremolo (Dr.Scientist clone?)
X T-REX Tremster (early)
X Pigtronix Tremvelope
X Catlinbread Valcoder
X Fredric Effects West Germany Tremolo
X Guyatone FLIP VT-X Tremolo
X Mooer Trelicopter
X JHS Kodiak
X JHS Harmonic Tremolo
X JHS Tidewater
X Seymour-Duncan Stereo Shape Shifter

A keen eye might discern that I generally angle away from the subtle straight symmetrical (Fender/Optical?) type trems and more towards a slightly skewed square wave or "vintage" sound, that off centre "swing". That said, some I keep for practical, collectible, fun reasons!

I also generally want:

> Visible Rate LEDs
> Two indpendent speeds (or Tap Tempo)
> Both strong chop AND very mild subtle in the background vibes
> Big knobs for the rate to toe.

Awards:

"Chop King" - Menatone
"Mr. Versatile Experiments" - Catalinbread Stereo Semaphore
"Mr. Compact Board" - Malekko Omicron
"Mr. Easy Recording Mojo " - Maxon Stereo Box
"Mr. Gig cover all bases" - SD Shapeshifter
"Mr. Throbbing Big Mojo" - Colorsound
"My Pedalboard Favorite" - BOSS PN-2
"Mr.Budget Sleeper" - Ibanez Soundtank
"Mr. Old School Fun" - Uecks

*NB..they could all be "Ms" too ;)

Want to try/buy:

Catlinbread Valcoder V1 Bantam size
Cream knob Tremster

Who has a favourite tremolo? Anything you'd recommend?
Last edited by fuzzbuzzfuzz on Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: The Tremolo Thread

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:59 am

Love my Fulltone Supa Trem. Has most of what you need, except the second speed isn't independent - it is simply double the primary.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:18 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:59 am
Love my Fulltone Supa Trem. Has most of what you need, except the second speed isn't independent - it is simply double the primary.
Yes, I have heard about this one having a very nice boost too. Looks very solid. Like the large speed knob and switching, prices rising due to the closure. Good call!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:24 am

Wow, that's an impressive list, fuzzbuzzfuzz! :o

had:
Lastgasp Art Laboratories Ripplet - rare unit, bought for a friend in L.A., input sensitive (affecting speed) tremolo with a nice sound, but all in all very ... special
Marshall VT-1 Vibratrem - horrible volume boost in tremolo mode, lame vibrato mode

have:
Alesis ModFX Ampliton - digital true stereo tremolo and auto pan, does a good job
BOSS PN-2 - no need to say anything about this one, a keeper!
Hotone TREM - lush and warm classic Fender/VOX type tremolo sounds, I love it!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:03 pm

Yeah, tremolo is a beautiful effect. 3 of my amps have it built in.

However, I only have one such pedal - a Source Audio Vertigo. It's able to do a variety of classic tremolo sounds. Highly recommended!

https://www.sourceaudio.net/vertigo-tremolo.html

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:17 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:42 am
O Dunlop TVP-1 Tremolo Volume
This one any good? I don't have any practical use for it to be honest but it looks like a lot of fun!
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
I've got some plain old TR2 and danelectro trems but I've been meaning to build a 4MS panneur (stereo tremulus lune)

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:24 am
Wow, that's an impressive list, fuzzbuzzfuzz! :o

had:
Lastgasp Art Laboratories Ripplet - rare unit, bought for a friend in L.A., input sensitive (affecting speed) tremolo with a nice sound, but all in all very ... special
Marshall VT-1 Vibratrem - horrible volume boost in tremolo mode, lame vibrato mode

have:
Alesis ModFX Ampliton - digital true stereo tremolo and auto pan, does a good job
BOSS PN-2 - no need to say anything about this one, a keeper!
Hotone TREM - lush and warm classic Fender/VOX type tremolo sounds, I love it!
Pedal addiction + curiosty + bargain prices (way back!)

That Lastgasp does sound good. The Pirgtronix I had also had the input sensitivity control which I loved (either speed or depth), the downside was that it needed to be first in the chain to be most effective to pick attack rather than last (possibily a traditional spot). Otherwise I regret parting with it.

I have actaully seen the Hotone used just yesterday and may pick it up. Sounds similar to the Malekko and for always on smaller board action they are a win! Thanks for the feedback.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:53 pm

fernieite wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:03 pm
Yeah, tremolo is a beautiful effect. 3 of my amps have it built in.

However, I only have one such pedal - a Source Audio Vertigo. It's able to do a variety of classic tremolo sounds. Highly recommended!

https://www.sourceaudio.net/vertigo-tremolo.html
I have heard good things about that line! Reverb too.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:08 am

chromandre wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:17 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
O Dunlop TVP-1 Tremolo Volume
This one any good? I don't have any practical use for it to be honest but it looks like a lot of fun!

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
I've got some plain old TR2 and danelectro trems but I've been meaning to build a 4MS panneur (stereo tremulus lune)
TVP-1
It is very good I think, not an off-center asymmetrical wave but the controls allow either a harder square wave chop or traditional softer form, you can adjust the depth to the Left side sticking out knob with your foot. The other side is the volume mode which allow preset min/max volume.

Sound wise I love the hard chop which goes pretty deep and throbby. Somehow, I feel its slightly different to the normal layout non treadle TS-1 unit which has similar controls /circuit but iirc is stereo.

The downside of this (and the Rotovibe) is when clicking he pedal on you are ALWAYS at full speed. From there dialing in the speed with the foot treadle - which has a modest range - can be tricky to set.

The other downside is simply the weight/bulk, if it is an essential effect that you would often adjust the speed of, very useful. Otherwise its quite a commitment on a board.

I also love the volume pedal mode (despite again the modest throw of the treadle) and have toyed with gigging occasionally with two of them in series into a dirty reverbed amp. Garage rock, shoegaze, bluesy grunge, yeah I dig it :D

There are better options for the treadle trem (Chopper FX) but I love the TVP-1 because it has a great tone, a chrome top and looks badass!

My first trem was the Danelectro (2004?) which I was delighted to upgraded to the TR-2 when I came to Japan and loved it - felt "Pro". In all honesty with a bit of delay/verb it's a great tremolo. Good enough for Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys (who actually swapped back from an Analogman mod to the std) and Steve Craddock of OCS!

The TR-2 fits the practical/tone/price range perfectly. If I were starting again I'd grab one, do a rate mod/LED and a bigger knob to toe and it'd be perfect.

chromandre

Post by chromandre » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:34 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:08 am

The downside of this (and the Rotovibe) is when clicking he pedal on you are ALWAYS at full speed. From there dialing in the speed with the foot treadle - which has a modest range - can be tricky to set.

The other downside is simply the weight/bulk, if it is an essential effect that you would often adjust the speed of, very useful. Otherwise its quite a commitment on a board.

I also love the volume pedal mode (despite again the modest throw of the treadle) and have toyed with gigging occasionally with two of them in series into a dirty reverbed amp. Garage rock, shoegaze, bluesy grunge, yeah I dig it :D
Ha! Thats about what I expected, the price has come down a bit on the TVP-1, I figure if it's worth the space as a volume pedal, then you got a cool trick tremolo pedal.

I don't know if you knew this but since crybaby shells only range half a full pot sweep, you can realign where the teeth join to choose a higher or lower peak wah frequency. I was hoping you could do the same on tvp-1 and rotovibe to tune exactly how fast the LFO is at the peak toe position. In any case I'll own them both at some point two things I love are modulation pedals and expression pedals.