Weekend Pedal buys

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

Weekend Pedal buys

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:08 am

So whilst I am a bit over stocked I couldn't resist picking up these two at the weekend. 
The TC intrigued me, somehow I'm curious to try the various vibratos out there. I have also picked up a second SIB Vibrato unit too as that is a favorite and a BBE Vibrato a few weeks back too.

This one is actually nicely balanced and is very similar in control set and sounds to the little yellow Malleko Omicron (my go to for that quite strong seasick vibrato). The TC seems to have a little less effected signal mixed in compared to the Malekko, so is actually a bit more useful IMO, does a very nice faux rotating speaker sound, which I'd struggle to get on the Omicron. 

So far from memory I observe:

SIB Vibrato  - univibe/photo cell derived (I think) very different to the "chorus type circuits", little alteration to dry signal/EQ, nice Magnatone vibes, or super subtle, both very slow and very fast possible. 2 speed footswitches. Heavyweight build. LED lights a bit too small.

Malekko Vibrato - Mini footprint, 2 knobs, queasy pure pitch vibrato, can't do super slow, thick quality sound. 9v or 12v.

BBE Chorus/Vibrato - quite a strong effect straight off, quickly seasick, quite dark, more of a Chorus. Big case, 2 knobs.

TC Tailspin Vibrato - Same as the Malekko, simple controls with 2 big knobs, can't do slow speeds, nice Leslie sounds, can be dialed back to subtle. slight thiness to the overall sound (a sort of cheap plastickyness of signal strength, not terrible but there).

BOSS VB-2 - really must play it to know more!

Second purchase was a mint looking V-847A wah labelled as "junk - no sound", 1000 yen. For parts alone that was irresistible!  Popped the back and it seems someone had changed the switch and incorrectly so. So rooting about I found the original switch I'd popped out of my other union jack 847 wah (to true bypass it). Bit of solder later and she fired up!  Like the sound of these alot. Only small fly in the ointment was a bit of a scracthy pot. May consider changing it though they make a bit fiddly with the connection pcb/pot they use.
Attachments
IMG_2023-2-13-135123.jpg
IMG_2023-2-13-135123.jpg (399.03 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
IMG_2023-2-13-135043.jpg
IMG_2023-2-13-135043.jpg (456.81 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

Sinom
SBZ: Silver

Re: Weekend Pedal buys

Post by Sinom » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 am

The Tailspin will sit nicely next to your Crescendo......

Nice set of purchases,

Sinom

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:08 am
Second purchase was a mint looking V-847A wah labelled as "junk - no sound", 1000 yen.
Oh man, 1000 Yen is CAD$10. An absolute steal, even if it turned out to be parts for the junk bin!

Curious - how much was the Tailspin?

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:15 am

Sinom wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 am
The Tailspin will sit nicely next to your Crescendo......

Nice set of purchases,

Sinom
Yes thanks.

Whilst none are essential I have a soft spot for the series and I hope to mount them on a pedalboard above the keyboards, as I find those oversized knobs are perfect for one hand manipulation.

I have the Echo Brain too, which is a good dark DM-2 approximation and its fab for getting the wild osscilation one handed, the proximity of the two large grippy knobs together is perfect.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:19 am

laurie wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Second purchase was a mint looking V-847A wah labelled as "junk - no sound", 1000 yen.
Oh man, 1000 Yen is CAD$10. An absolute steal, even if it turned out to be parts for the junk bin!

Absolutely. Even if I change the pot (which I may experiment with).

The Tailspin was iirc 3300yen or close to that. For that money I'm happy to give them a whirl!

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:30 am

laurie wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:

Absolutely. Even if I change the pot, which was a tad scratchy and a weak point on those VOXs apparently.

I'd like to experiment with changing the pot values so this may be my mule for tht purpose. Over here I can buy the "Montreux" pots of Amazon for between 2-2500yen freepost (compared to a lot more for any USA types etc). They do 100k, 125k, 200k I think. I've ordered one which I think was 200k.

I may true bypass this one too.

I'm not sure why they get the knocking they do the 847As since I personally think the wah tone is great. No 846 for sure but still much better than many others I've had.

The Tailspin was iirc 3300yen used or close to that. For that money I'm happy to give them a whirl! They are almost always boxed and any scratching is on the bare metal sides which doesn't bother me. Like the old style EHX I like the fact they could be butted together to form a "Console", all jacks to the rear. I plan to build a few wooden surrounds for that purpose.

They had "The Choker" which is a TR-2 of course for about 3500yen used too, but I decided not to get too carried away!

SInce I have yet to pick up an FRV-1 BOSS (hint anyone!) I would really like to try TC's "The Drip" but that one being new is quite expensive and has yet to crop up on the used market. The "Sky Surfer" reverb can be had for around 5500yen sometimes but again I'm trying to not go too wild! Already struggling for space :lol: