Interest in a HM-2 "tribute"?

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Interest in a HM-2 "tribute"?

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:17 pm

I wanted a stereo LGP when you still were at DingoTone. I would still like that idea.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:56 pm

laurie wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:15 pm
Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm
Over at the ILoveFuzz forum is a thread about HM-2 clones that started five years before the HM-2W was introduced.
Please School Me on Boss HM-2 Clones
Ah well, it has all been done before. Nevermind the HM-2 then!
Well, I think that you might find some folks who would like to have an affordable HM-2 tribute in your known high quality.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:03 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:56 pm
Well, I think that you might find some folks who would like to have an affordable HM-2 tribute in your known high quality.
Thanks pepe!

I might still build myself a clone. If I do, I'll be able to make some for others because the minimum PCB order is 5 units.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:18 pm

I’m a bit late onto this but I would be interested in a HM-2 built by yourself Laurie. You know that I’m a big fan of your pedals :D

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:18 pm
I’m a bit late onto this but I would be interested in a HM-2 built by yourself Laurie. You know that I’m a big fan of your pedals :D
Thank you! I'll need to contemplate what to build next... I'm warming to a stereo phaser. But a HM-2 at some point might be in the pipeline.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:23 pm

Anything stereo definitely floats my boat now that I’m heavily into my JC-40 !

Luke Drifter

Post by Luke Drifter » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:51 am

check out the Dazatronyx THD for inspiration

https://www.dazatronyx.com/#thd
Jerem, Jeremy on BAF and SBZ

zentropa
SBZ: Silver

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:53 pm

laurie wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Fair enough about the HM-2. I sold my HM-2 years ago and can't stomach the thought of paying $300+ to get another one. If enough people had been of a like mind we could all get a clone. I might still design and build one for myself.
I know this thread is old but not ancient. Prices on HM-2 have come way down in my area (~$90-125) on both waza and vintage. Possibly a bit lower if you don't care about the condition, original knobs, bottom label, etc. I could grab one for you if you want. Right now I have access to 3-4 vintage and 1-2 waza.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:12 pm

Strangely the recent prices for vintage Japanese models are also around 130 to 150 EUR in the local ads. A while ago it was nearly impossible to buy one for under 200 EUR.

Is that the effect of the Waza Craft reissue? If so, it was great to see an FZ-2W* someday, because the FZ-2-prices are purely insane.

*Please, BOSS, please with a fourth switch position to select the sound of the FZ-3!

zentropa
SBZ: Silver

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:59 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Strangely the recent prices for vintage Japanese models are also around 130 to 150 EUR in the local ads. A while ago it was nearly impossible to buy one for under 200 EUR.

Is that the effect of the Waza Craft reissue? If so, it was great to see an FZ-2W* someday, because the FZ-2-prices are purely insane.
I think it varies some model by model. I know with some of them, the initial release would actually drive up the value of the vintage ones because people would try the waza and decide they needed to have a vintage. This happened with the CE-2W.

I think a lot of the HM-2 drop is because the majority of the demand (and price increase) for the HM-2 is driven by metal players copying rigs. 20 years ago the HM-2 sold for about the same as a DS-1 but when it became common knowledge that Entombed used it on a record it almost immediately jumped to $100-150 and when FOMO set in, people started needing to have one. With the inflation we have going on, a lot of people have been dumping non-essential gear and since most people only run the HM-2 with the knobs nearly maxed out, it isn't very versatile in that state, so it becomes non-essential for anyone not actively using theirs.

The FZ-2 prices have been driven by something similar (although I forget which band people are copying the rig of) and I think they went higher because Boss barely made any of these while they made a ton of the HM-2.

I remember cringing when I got my last FZ-2 for like $100, because they had been a $60 pedal for so long. I'm glad I got one then.