NPD: TC Crescendo

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

NPD: TC Crescendo

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:12 am

A new pickup yesterday (along with a few other interesting "junk" bits. I spied this for a measly 2200 yen in it's box all minty, and thought that's a no brainer. And I love it! 

Very easy to use/set (compared to my little Malekko AD - which I will revisit), big enough not to miss and a very sturdy enclosure, true bypass, rear jacks, and can butt this series together like a consul, what's not to like. Of course being a clone of the unobtanium SG-1 it has scratched that itch for now. Just have to get used to the momentary type switch (it's "ON" when you release your foot upwards). Great for pedal steel and Jeff Beck impressions, heaven!

I also have the analog delay from this series (a DM-2 clone), and whilst the fidelity/clarity is not quite on par with the original, I like it too. Particularly because the large control knobs sat close together makes for very easy one hand manipulation when sat on top of a keyboard, those spaceship sounds etc.

Anyway so far so good!

(and yes it made up for drilling into my thumb over the weekend!)
Attachments
IMG-2023-1-10-105412.JPG
IMG-2023-1-10-105412.JPG (263.64 KiB) Viewed 3984 times

Sinom
SBZ: Silver

Re: NPD: TC Crescendo

Post by Sinom » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:22 am

Nice!

I have a TC Tailspin Vibrato which looks like an identical two knob, very rugged box, albeit a different colour.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:39 am

Yes, that is another "on the list" at the right price, despite already owning numerous vibratos. :lol:

Curious as to what circuit that particular two knob is based on?

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:48 pm

Nice. First pedal I ever built was an SG-1 clone. Still have it kicking around somewhere.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:36 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:48 pm
Nice. First pedal I ever built was an SG-1 clone. Still have it kicking around somewhere.
A quick off-topic. That one is a cracking pedal Laurie. I still think it does the job better than an SG-1.

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:44 pm

Nice. For the price, you can't go wrong with that TC series. I have the skysurfer reverb in my guitar rig, it does the job.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 am

Yes, still fiddlin about with the Crescendo. It has its quirks, I assume inherited from the SG-1. It's most prominent downside is that it cuts off any trails of the note once it has reached full volume quickly. Furthermore its a fine balancing act with the settings to achieve a balance between touch sensitivity, the speed of the cut off and the length of the trail achievable. 

Build wise I do like this series. I had a small moment using it with my pedalboard where I thought I detected some bypass reduction in signal quality but I think that may simply have been mixing various pedals and extra cable length.

I noticed there is a mod to increase swell length out there. I've yet to compare it to my mini Malekko but will do in time.

At the right price I'd like to pick up a few more of these.

I'm curious about the "Drip" - spring reverb being a very difficult beast to nail, having tried the BOSS Fender unit last weekI loved it but prices are sky high at the moment alas!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:48 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:09 am
I'm curious about the "Drip" - spring reverb being a very difficult beast to nail, having tried the BOSS Fender unit last weekI loved it but prices are sky high at the moment alas!
I have a FRV-1 that I luckily picked up waaaay below market value about 2 years ago. To be honest, I never really use it, as big, drippy, surf reverb is not my thing, but it can be dialed back to a somewhat subtle amp style verb. Between it and my RV2, I have pedal reverb covered.
The TC Drip is a decent copy of the FRV1. Played one a couple weeks ago. Would love to A/B directly to the FRV1 so I can make a better comparison, but it's clearly a riff on the FRV1. Plus, the price is so right on the Drip.