Pedal haul today

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Pedal haul today

Post by laurie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:08 pm

Death metal needed a complete rewire. Someone obviously has been messing with it. Plus one of the pots had been stressed to the point that the solder cracked and the pot fell off the board.

I have it kinda working, but with massive hum. Will trace the signal over the weekend and see if I can find the issue. Almost certainly a broken PCB track somewhere.

laurie

Post by laurie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:18 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:10 am
Great work Laurie. It’s a good job that I don’t have your skills or I would have twice as many pedals! :roll: :lol:
I think I have about 10 rescue pedals kicking around from the last year. They are like rabbits...

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:17 am

Death Metal is working. Traced the problem to a dry joint on one of the bypass FETs. Replaced the missing battery snap.

It is an ugly sounding pedal - check out some of the youtube demo clips. But, it is the first version (a "Lamb" version ... I didn't now what that meant either until I was researching the fault), and so it appears to be quite valuable.

https://thejhsshow.com/articles/the-dod-lamb-series

"The FX86 creates a grinding wall of noise perfect for harmonic corruption of the highest order. The FX86 emulates the death metal and grindcore sounds of napalm death, carcass, brutal truth, pungent stench, and others. One advantage of the FX86 is that it will oscillate when the rest in peace (R.I.P) control is turned up.

Bugger me...

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:49 am

Some of the old DODs are really expensive today. In the 90s some of them had been lying for years in the showcase of a second hand shop in our city and noone bought them. I always thought that they were ugly in comparison to other pedals, plus the names and labellings were quite odd.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:22 am

Tested the "sold as working" pedals. The Rat had a faulty 3PDT footswitch. Once it was stomped to "on", I had to jiggle the switch to engage the effect.

Replaced with a spare I had in the parts box and it is working 100%.

The MT-2 and DS-1 are working OK.

All pedals repaired and tested. Took about 6 to 8 hours.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:03 am

Awesome! What a steal, especially for the RAT, the DOD, the XT-2 and the DS-1 in this special colour. 8-)

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:55 am

I've been slowly trying all those pedals.

The Rat is a definite keeper. There is nothing that sounds as good through the Fender Super Reverb. When I had the Rat apart to fix the footswitch I installed a machine socket for the opamp and swapped in a NOS LM308 chip that I had in the parts bin.

It sounds just right through the Super. Every other distortion pedal sounded either thin, or harsh. The Rat plus a 32-OD for overdrive will be the dirt section of the board that I use with the Super. Probably just need a chorus (I have a CE-5) and a delay (I have a Dan-Echo). Those four pedals plus the reverb and vibrato on the amp will be the perfect set.
Rat_LM308 small.jpg
Rat_LM308 small.jpg (96.43 KiB) Viewed 3504 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:45 am

Ah, now that's the real deal! 8-)

Maybe you want to check if there is some sonic overlap with the DingoTone FDD? I sold my Turbo RAT (it has more gain and low-end than the standard RAT) years ago, because I was able to create very similar sounds with my FDD.

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:28 am

Pepe wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:45 am
Maybe you want to check if there is some sonic overlap with the DingoTone FDD?
OK. So I pulled out my USA Strat with Texas Special pickups today and played it through the Super Reverb for the first time.
  • USA Fender guitar
  • Excellent Fender aftermarket pickups
  • Fender amp
THAT'S what I'm talking about...This stuff was meant to be together!

Distortion using this rig... the FDD, hands down. At the risk of sounding like I'm inflating my own tires, the FDD is awesome. Huge tone.