Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
bigtone23

Re: New (broken) pedal day!

Post by bigtone23 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:28 am

laurie wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:57 pm
bigtone23 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:48 pm
It's delicate nature is seemingly from the get go of the design..? It uses sort of odd parts (like the stock pot that is 27-31K). What made these sell was the unique tone, bigger in the low mids for sure.
I suspect it was intentional. Thanks for sharing your experience - it all adds to our body-of-knowledge.
Well, I got the Joe Gagon signature BG1/BG2 replacement pot. After the install, the wah/volume works perfectly and sounds great. It even tooths up to tune it with no issues, like a Crybaby or Vox. It was working OK with the original pot, but the replacement made it next level good. Best $38 I have spent in a while, and now the wah is good until a resistor drifts or capacitor dries out.
So, the free wah has the following costs.
$38 pot. 1 hour of internet research. 1.5 hours of taking it apart, cleaning it, general futzing.
The experience and knowledge is more than worth it. Plus, it really does sound great. It's definitely my type of wah.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:10 am

Fantastic! It's always very rewarding to find a pedal that offers the sound that you want.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:13 am

Pepe wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:10 am
Fantastic! It's always very rewarding to find a pedal that offers the sound that you want.
It's the best! I wan't very familiar with the Boomerang type wahs before. Now I get it.

This is also how I ended up with my first wah love: a '76 Thomas Organ Crybaby. My bandmate in the early 90s rewired it as a volume pedal. One day I opened it up and saw the circuit was still present, just bypassed. I traded him a Dearmond volume pedal for it and got to work bringing it back. Did a true bypass switch, replaced the pot and it worked perfectly and sounded waaay better than my Morley Pro Series Distortion Wah Volume thing. This kept my wah scope on only Crybaby and Vox type wahs, as they had that sound. Now I like the Boomerang, too!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:39 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:13 am
This is also how I ended up with my first wah love: a '76 Thomas Organ Crybaby. My bandmate in the early 90s rewired it as a volume pedal.
How cruel! :shock:

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:47 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
sounded waaay better than my Morley Pro Series Distortion Wah Volume thing
Ooooohhh... I had one of those back in the day. Yes it was a "thing" :)

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:38 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:39 am
bigtone23 wrote:
This is also how I ended up with my first wah love: a '76 Thomas Organ Crybaby. My bandmate in the early 90s rewired it as a volume pedal.
How cruel! :shock:
Right?! It was a pragmatic move. We lived in a small town with the nearest decent music stores 100 miles/2 hours away. He needed a volume, not a wah, and had the skills... haha

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:40 pm

laurie wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:47 pm
bigtone23 wrote:
sounded waaay better than my Morley Pro Series Distortion Wah Volume thing
Ooooohhh... I had one of those back in the day. Yes it was a "thing" :)
I got it because teenage me thought "I get a wah with the bonus of distortion and volume, all for the price of a Crybaby!"
Well, jack of all trades, master of none...
The volume mode was fine, I guess.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 am

Pepe wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:25 pm
The VOX V847 from 1994 found a new home. A local guitarist who prefers the American V847 picked it up today. I tested it once again yesterday and it worked perfectly, but I simply couldn't bond with the sound of it. So I'm happy that it gets used by someone who really wants this sound.

I'm very picky when it comes to wah and filter sounds. Lots of them don't work too great with distortion or overdrive. I have and keep my mid-'90s GCB-95 Cry Baby (I prefer this one over all the others that I had, including one with the red Fasel coil), but my main wah-like pedal is the huge KEIO Traveler Synthesizer with its lowpass filter.

I also love the BOSS FT-2 (lowpass filter!) and the KORG KDW-301 Dist Wah in the lowpass filter mode (do you recognize a pattern here?). The latter does also have a "Band Pass +" mode which combines wah with the original signal and that sounds awesome to me.

I think that wah pedals should always have a clean blend - why don't the pedal makers include that in any of their models? Up to this day I haven't found one with a clean blend. Do you know one?

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:57 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 am
The VOX V847 from 1994 found a new home... I simply couldn't bond with the sound of it.
Wahs are hard to love, but I guess no different than a dirt pedal - hard to find one to really bond with.
Pepe wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 am
I think that wah pedals should always have a clean blend - why don't the pedal makers include that in any of their models? Up to this day I haven't found one with a clean blend. Do you know one?
Never heard of that, but it sounds like a great idea! You could use an LS-2 maybe?

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:07 pm

Yes, that's something that was suggested years ago when I first asked for it. The LS-2 is a great and versatile tool, but I only have one of them. ;)

Really, I don't know what's so hard to include a clean buffer and a clean blend in a wah pedal. Please, dear pedal companies, read this and think about it for a minute. :idea: