Thinking of doing a new pedal design... what are your thoughts about what it should be?

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: Thinking of doing a new pedal design... what are your thoughts about what it should be?

Post by Pepe » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:16 am

The_Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:49 am
I have a real soft spot for treble boosters. How about a Laurie take on one ? Maybe combine it with an overdrive of some sort.
Pssst, The_Doc: my secret weapon for exactly that is the KORG TNB-1 Tone Booster (same as Yamaha TB-01). ;)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Re: Thinking of doing a new pedal design... what are your thoughts about what it should be?

Post by sclitheroe » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:14 pm

The_Doc wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:49 am
I have a real soft spot for treble boosters. How about a Laurie take on one ? Maybe combine it with an overdrive of some sort.
I was gonna suggest one too, I miss my Naga Viper, that was an excellent pedal that I foolishly sold, but its such a simple circuit I doubt it would be of much interest as a "project"

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:14 am

A dual germanium/silicon Treble boost would be very useful, particularly if:

- there are two footswitches switches to give 2 set boost levels, set far apart enough on the pedal to be viable.
- range frequency control to pinpoint the midrange or EQ
- a toggle for the Ge/Sil
- some workaround so that it can be used with a normal BOSS power supply and anywhere in the chain.

Oh and in a nice paintjob! :lol:

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:09 am

One of my favorite phasers was found on the 79-84ish era Peavey VT/VTX/Solo amplifiers. It was a 2 knob (4-8 stage?) phaser. The cool thing was that (depending on the model) you could turn the rate/range knob all the way counter clockwise or pull the knob out and it would click off the sweep. Then turning the knob would manually sweep through the entire range of the sweep. It was a really cool for getting some unique tones, like cocking a wah, but phaser! Many Peavey fans (including myself) have always thought that as a stand alone pedal would have a cult following.
The first minute of this shows a little taste of the frozen sweep
https://youtu.be/RYO0aUX4aEY

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:04 am

bigtone23 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:09 am
One of my favorite phasers was found on the 79-84ish era Peavey VT/VTX/Solo amplifiers. It was a 2 knob (4-8 stage?) phaser. The cool thing was that (depending on the model) you could turn the rate/range knob all the way counter clockwise or pull the knob out and it would click off the sweep. Then turning the knob would manually sweep through the entire range of the sweep. It was a really cool for getting some unique tones, like cocking a wah, but phaser! Many Peavey fans (including myself) have always thought that as a stand alone pedal would have a cult following.
That is definitely possible

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:44 am

laurie wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:04 am
bigtone23 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:09 am
That is definitely possible
If you can do this, sign me up for a pedal! :D :D :D
I have done a lot of surfing about this Peavey phaser circuit and why it hasn't been released as stand alone pedal. Some have cloned classic 70s era Peavey preamps, etc... which include that cool 70s distortion circuit. None have touched the 'Saturation' circuit, which has another cult following.
Those more in the know with the feasibility of the phaser talk about how complicated it is, how it uses some wacky chips, how it's located really late in the preamp section of the amps, etc...
I'm not concerned with accuracy, but a medium-staged phaser that can do the manual sweep would find my money going to the builder.

On a similar note: I love the EH BassBalls: an envelope follower that uses phaser vs wah circuitry. So cool! Much cooler than the Dr Q.