New pedal - Boo Electronics PH-1r

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
SamXTherapy

New pedal - Boo Electronics PH-1r

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat May 21, 2022 2:55 pm

Arrived today and it's immediately on my board.

Been on my radar for a while. I wanted a Boss PH-1r but prices are ridiculous, and it seems there are a number of fakes out there, so I was hunting for a viable alternative.

The Boo version uses, according to their site, high quality components with audiophile grade pots. I can well believe it, too; this thing is super quiet even when used with gain. There's no appreciable volume leap or drop, either. However they did it, I'm impressed.

Sounds wise, well, it sounds like... a phaser. Can't remember enough about the original to tell how it stacks up, but it's definitely a good tone. Their site says it's also similar to MXR but I never cared for the way those things are voiced. The Boo sounds very nice to me, at any rate.

Nice looks, too; I really like the industrial, utilitarian look, and I wish more manufacturers would go that route, rather than OTT, faux 60s psychedelia.

Any road up, for 110 quid, I'm a happy bunny.
Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New pedal - Boo Electronics PH-1r

Post by Pepe » Sat May 21, 2022 4:37 pm

Sounds like a great pedal! I wasn't impressed at all with my PH-1R. I was on the hunt for one for years and then I had that nice looking unit with a silver screw ... Not my cup of tea! It was definitely not my go-to phaser sound and the volume boost was unacceptable.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat May 21, 2022 4:45 pm

My favourite phaser tone was the old Small Stone but it was incredibly noisy and had a huge volume drop.

This thing gets me in the ballpark, but I wouldn't say it's exact. Anyhow, it's, IMO, much better than the MXR stuff - which as I mentioned, I don't care for - so that's another win.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat May 21, 2022 4:47 pm

The volume drop of the old Small Stone is completely ridiculous! A friend of mine has one (I did a demo video several years ago) and to say that I was surprised by the volume drop is an understatement.

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Sat May 21, 2022 4:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sat May 21, 2022 7:41 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:47 pm
The volume drop of the old Small Stone is completely ridiculous! A friend of mine has one (I did a demo video several years ago) and to say that I was surprised by the volume drop is an understatement.
That's almost the entire reason the old DingoTone Liquid Gold Phaser was designed with a level control - tweak it until the levels match in your rig.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 am

And that's only one of the reasons why I won't give the LGP away! 8-)

SamXTherapy

Post by SamXTherapy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:55 am

Small update...

The pedal developed a fault; the indicator LED started to flicker and dim. I tried battery power, changing cables around, all the usual stuff, to no avail.

Contacted Boo about it and they replaced the unit in double quick time. Not only did they refund the postage but they sent an upgraded version, which has a very nice illuminated base. That version normally costs an extra £15.

Great service all round, and I'll happily buy their gear again.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:19 am

Pepe wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:37 pm
Sounds like a great pedal! I wasn't impressed at all with my PH-1R. I was on the hunt for one for years and then I had that nice looking unit with a silver screw ... Not my cup of tea! It was definitely not my go-to phaser sound and the volume boost was unacceptable.
The PH-1, and for that matter, most fo the BOSS phasers to my mind have a very particular "gurgly" 70s sound, remidns me of disco/funk etc, and are usually rather hard to dial down into a simple background swoosh or a mild Leslie. The PH-1 original probably being the least "effected". That said when you want that "Who's that Lady tone" cranking an AP-2 is a throb/wobble city!

But yes like you Pepe, back in the day I tended to sub a PH-1R with a Maxon/Ibanez PT-909 for psuedo Leslie rather than the "sticky, sweet, gurlge" of the BOSS units.

For me phasers full into two camps, very woohsy wibbly obvious ones that cover and bend the guitar signal, and those that retain the cleaness of the tone but simply shift the whole thing into a swoosh. Hard to explain lol!

Current phaser, SIB! MR.Variphase :)