Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: Best tuner for intonation?

Post by laurie » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:28 pm

sclitheroe wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:11 pm

that's gotta be what? close to 15 years now?
Now I just feel old :?

Where did you get the Turbo Tuner? Can't find it anywhere in Canada - only direct order from the manufacturer in the USA.

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:58 pm

laurie wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:28 pm
sclitheroe wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:11 pm

that's gotta be what? close to 15 years now?
Now I just feel old :?

Where did you get the Turbo Tuner? Can't find it anywhere in Canada - only direct order from the manufacturer in the USA.
That's how I got mine. And yes, we are old. :D

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:53 am

Ordered a Turbo Tuner today.

Thanks for the advice!

laurie

Post by laurie » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 am

Turbo tuner came. Nice unit.

Thanks for the advice!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 am

laurie wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 am

Thanks for the advice!
I remember a massive Turbo Tuner love fest on The Gear Page and TalkBass about decade ago. Of course, the hoopla died down. However, the tuner lives on! Great tuners are great tuners!

sclitheroe

Post by sclitheroe » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 am
laurie wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
I remember a massive Turbo Tuner love fest on The Gear Page and TalkBass about decade ago. Of course, the hoopla died down. However, the tuner lives on! Great tuners are great tuners!
Yep that's when I got mine, and I bet it was even more than a decade now. The key thing with the turbotuner is they use LED's, which are _way_ faster switching time than the LCD segments Petersen uses on their pedal based strobe tuners. So with the turbotuner, you can actually see the beat frequency developed in real time, which is why its so, so sensitive. It's so good you can see the tuning shift from tuning the guitar horizontally to tuning it vertically - it can "see" the weight change of the neck on the strings.

I'm a big fan just because of it being so well designed and implemented - they did a really good job.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:14 pm

sclitheroe wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:30 pm
bigtone23 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 am
laurie wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
Yep that's when I got mine, and I bet it was even more than a decade now. The key thing with the turbotuner is they use LED's, which are _way_ faster switching time than the LCD segments Petersen uses on their pedal based strobe tuners. So with the turbotuner, you can actually see the beat frequency developed in real time, which is why its so, so sensitive. It's so good you can see the tuning shift from tuning the guitar horizontally to tuning it vertically - it can "see" the weight change of the neck on the strings.

I'm a big fan just because of it being so well designed and implemented - they did a really good job.
They really did nail it!

When I was a kid in the percussion section of Elementary through High School Concert band, the band rooms had this exact Conn Strobotuner. It was certainly from the 50s or 60s, it was tube and took a minute to fire up. It worked great, I would plug my guitar into it to tune when doing Jazz band or independent guitar studies. Why not? It's there and cool to use!
One came up used on my local Craig'sList a few years ago for $50. I 80% regret not grabbing it. It was an actual incandescent strobe light with the spinning wheel, it was cool looking and nostalgic, especially the crinkle brown paint. The 20% of me that accepts my decision to not jump is happy I didn't have to find a place for it (it's huge) and do some nearly certain maintenance (caps, etc... it was a 50 year old tube device!) to get it working properly.
It would have made a sort-of profitable flip, though.

sclitheroe

Post by sclitheroe » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:07 pm

That's a cool looking unit.

Here's another beauty on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/p/conn-st-11-strobotuner

laurie

Post by laurie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:54 pm

One year on... still happy with the Turbo Tuner. Have used for the intonation on maybe a dozen guitars and basses.

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:20 pm

Same here. I had a ST-200 years ago, but have the newer ST-300 now. Fantastic tuners!