NPD: thrift store pedals

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

NPD: thrift store pedals

Post by laurie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 pm

In the last 10 years I have never (ever) seen a guitar pedal at local thrift store. Today I found and bought two.

A Behringer OD100 (a Boss OS-2 clone) for USD$11
A Danelectro Dan-Echo for USD$30

Neither are top-of-the-range pedals, but they work, are in good condition, and the price was right.

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Re: NPD: thrift store pedals

Post by fernieite » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:34 pm

Good scores man!

I found a vintage (block logo) MXR Distortion + in a thrift store in Fernie, B.C when I lived there. (1997 - 2004)

I paid $5 for it. 8-)

fernieite
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Silver

Post by fernieite » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:47 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, I saw a vintage Ibanez TS-9 in a thrift store in Golden, BC around the same time.
I had an 808 at the time, so I passed. I think they wanted $50 for it, but I'm not sure.

But, yeah, you don't see a lot of pedals for sale in thrift stores. Pawn shops are a little better.

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:09 am

20210831_185923.jpg
20210831_185923.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:54 am

Blimey that's a steal for the Dan-Echo. I like mine alot, nice sort of Tape Delay-ish sounds, plenty of range and I'ma sucker for lilac purple pedals in unique cases! Good score!

laurie

Post by laurie » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:56 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:54 am
Blimey that's a steal for the Dan-Echo. I like mine alot, nice sort of Tape Delay-ish sounds, plenty of range
Yeah, it is growing on me.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 am

I think - with a little bit of overdrive - it can do quite a nice range of convincing tape-ish repeats. Its downsides are of course the odd shape/weight, plastic jacks and the flimsy, under heavy hand knobs. Recently at a practice a fellow band member leapt down to do the typical spaceship twist and I had to intervene and explain it was not a BOSS DD-3 and to treat it with more care! ;)

Incidentally, the Dan Echo featured on an incarnation of Noel Gallagher's board in the early 2000s before being replaced by a DD series delay, this being a preferred favorite era effects wise of mine for him. His board also included the magnificent Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere Leslie emulator.  "Gas Panic" from the BBCs Jools Holland show admirably shows off its worth and Noel bends down to twist a few knobs on the Dan Echo ( I think) for the spaceship touching down sounds.

I confess I need to play my Dan Echo more, as I've essentially left each delay on one specific time/setting rather than tweaking each in turn...time. time, time!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:25 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 am
I think - with a little bit of overdrive - it can do quite a nice range of convincing tape-ish repeats. Its downsides are of course the odd shape/weight, plastic jacks and the flimsy, under heavy hand knobs. Recently at a practice a fellow band member leapt down to do the typical spaceship twist and I had to intervene and explain it was not a BOSS DD-3 and to treat it with more care! ;)
So true! I have seen many a 90s era Dano pedal missing a pot shaft. BOSS? Not really.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:49 pm

Quite. A peril of the 90s in particular, plastic - weak/brittle, in places where metal would have been much more effective! Contenders of infamyincluding:
1)  the otherwise quite well built aforementioned large box Danelectros
2)  the Guyatone FLIPs (plastic jacks to PCB with metal washers and nuts)
3)  the now very collectible Marshall first series pedals (plastic jacks with metal nuts again!)
4)  Ibanez Soundtank series with all the wobbly bits! 
5) Russian build Sovteks - plastic jacks to circuit board.

and no doubt more!

No wonder BOSS held the market (and continues to) at that time.

Otherwise, I have a great soft spot for the Dany's - the first ever pedal purchased new being the Daddy O Overdrive (itself actually a version of Marshalls Guvnor interestingly), the smell, the box, the weight, magic! :D

visserman

Post by visserman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:08 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:49 pm
Quite. A peril of the 90s in particular, plastic - weak/brittle, in places where metal would have been much more effective! Contenders of infamyincluding:
1)  the otherwise quite well built aforementioned large box Danelectros
2)  the Guyatone FLIPs (plastic jacks to PCB with metal washers and nuts)
3)  the now very collectible Marshall first series pedals (plastic jacks with metal nuts again!)
4)  Ibanez Soundtank series with all the wobbly bits! 
5) Russian build Sovteks - plastic jacks to circuit board.

and no doubt more!

No wonder BOSS held the market (and continues to) at that time.

Otherwise, I have a great soft spot for the Dany's - the first ever pedal purchased new being the Daddy O Overdrive (itself actually a version of Marshalls Guvnor interestingly), the smell, the box, the weight, magic! :D

Your list comes also from that period which saw the start of boutique pedals. It was the time when people "rediscovered" compact pedals again. What was once regarded as old fashioned was actually not all that bad, and sometimes quite useful in certain circumstances.
If you did not want a Boss you could try any of your list mentioned above pedals.
The newly Electro Harmonics pedals were not around yet, but would soon come!

I have one Guyatone, it is the phaser. Sounds good, (Makes great Leslie Sounds!) bought it together with a Soundtank Phase, which I have no longer.
The Danelectros, I never got into them, thought they always looked a bit like a toy, but then they may sound nice.

Hmm, those Marshall pedals. I think I tried later on, but did not think too much of them. If I remember, I felt their sound could also be found in other pedals, so nothing unique or special. Could be so wrong, but that is what I felt at the time. It may have been early 2000s, tried in a secondhand shop