NPD: thrift store pedals

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
fuzzbuzzfuzz

Re: NPD: thrift store pedals

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 am

Yes you are absolutely right there Visserman, I recall Fulltone I believe as the first boutique company I noticed, the prices of course seemed exorbitant and out of reach.

Growing up in the late 90s the selection usually stood at:

Rocktek/Aria/Arion etc > BOSS (pro/but costly enough) > EHX big box (exotique also costly)

..for me.

I recall being agog at a Memory Man and VOX AC50 a fellow high schooler had, and later on a blue label DD-3 was about 90 pounds used, more than the cost of my first electric guitar!

When the Danelectros arrived John Hornby Skewes were the importer (the earlier UK based "JHS", and their catalog was a source of delight and potential ordering, the prices being between 29 pounds up more affordable and frankly more colourful. George Dennis (Czech)being their other brand.

Sorry rambling haha!

bigtone23

Re: NPD: thrift store pedals

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:07 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 am
I think - with a little bit of overdrive - it can do quite a nice range of convincing tape-ish repeats. Its downsides are of course the odd shape/weight, plastic jacks and the flimsy, under heavy hand knobs. Recently at a practice a fellow band member leapt down to do the typical spaceship twist and I had to intervene and explain it was not a BOSS DD-3 and to treat it with more care! ;)
So true! I have seen many a 90s era Dano pedal missing a pot shaft. BOSS? Not really.