A possible long-dash OD-1 build

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Ricey

Re: A possible long-dash OD-1 build

Post by Ricey » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:15 pm

How about Old_Iron or fuzzbuzzfuzz? Seems like something they would be interested in? An OD-1 with a defeatable tone knob seems like the best OD-1 you could ask for.

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Lack of tone control is the only thing that kept me from attempting to acquire an OD-1 back when prices were still within reach and I figured the sound was probably not all that different from my SD-1s, OD-2r, or OD-3.

Edit: just realized I had been referencing my "OD-1r". Obviously, I meant OD-2r. Corrected in previous posts.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:16 am

Ricey wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:15 pm
How about Old_Iron or fuzzbuzzfuzz? Seems like something they would be interested in? An OD-1 with a defeatable tone knob seems like the best OD-1 you could ask for.

I am indeed sorely tempted by an OD-1 variant though I have spent quite a few beans on acquiring 2 x Od-1s this past few months (a Silver Screw and a Black Screw). Prices were reasonable though so I'm certainly happy with them.  :) (and more keep popping up!)

Slight sidetrack :  A long time ago when I was beginning gigging, and on my first trip to Japan in the cold winter of 2015 iirc,  I purchased my first "boutique" (or what I thought constituted such) pedal in Kyoto. This was a Noah's Ark "Yellow" pedal, emulating the last iteration of the OD-1. I had a quick shoot out as, my wife patiently waited, comparing it to the NA "Green" their TS variant. I finally settled on the Yellow and gigged with it as a drive in the UK for a while - despite it being typically bright and more ideal as a booster. I loved the overall natural feel of the drive ("Tubey") and compared it to (what I thought ) were the metallic tones of the BOSS offerings at the time. I was playing through a solid state amp at the time. 

SO I have 3 x OD-1s. :D (though no long chip)

Also, I made a painful boo-boo with the 2 pedals Laurie sent.... :|

Whilst tidying up the pedal den, I rested them on a rubber slip/grip mat, a sort of thin roll of cheap rubber material  with holes. Probably for a few weeks. Unfortunately that particular brand of cheap mat - for whatever reason - destroys the underlying particular clear coat/paint of pedals! :oops:

I was horrified to discover my two 32 pedals now had the imprint of the mat partially on their rear plates, quite deep into the clear coat, like a grid pattern. Really quite annoying since they were new. I popped magic tape on the base of the Overdrive (which had the most obvious imprinting and cleaned as best I could the TB. But you know, OCD, and new items, I was so annoyed with myself!   :cry:

SO, long story short I'm on the fence! :)

@Laurie - I would imagine it's an exceptionally long shot to ask if you happen to have spare baseplates in the same colors?

I might be tempted by an OD-1 pedal if so, but I know that's an awkward strange request, so no pressure course! Totally my fault. Otherwise I love the pedals.

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:19 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:16 am
@Laurie - I would imagine it's an exceptionally long shot to ask if you happen to have spare baseplates in the same colors?
Email sent.

If you can wait for the overdrives (I'd say closer to the end of the year) the shipping for the new bases will be incremental.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 am

Thank you Laurie you are a gentlemen! :D

(and just to be clear definitely the mat fault, it was some pound shop (or 100 yen as it is here) cheap thing. My wife tutt-tutted me and said I told you so!)

Ok pop me down for my fourth OD-1, let's get this project on the road! :D

Switchable EQ out/in sounds like a great idea.

Very impressed with the "32" pedals so far :)

I'll email regarding the bases when I've thought a bit Laurie!

Ricey

Post by Ricey » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:57 pm

Are we still stuck at 6?

Luke Drifter
The_Doc
sclitheroe
Laurie
Ricey
fuzzbuzzfuzz

Still waiting for Old_Iron to chime in?

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:20 pm

Ricey wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:57 pm
Are we still stuck at 6?

Luke Drifter
The_Doc
sclitheroe
Laurie
Ricey
fuzzbuzzfuzz

Still waiting for Old_Iron to chime in?
Oh man...😟

I'm sorry guys but I have 4 original OD-1, 3 long chip and one short, and on top of that, before I bought my first OD-1, I made a clone with the Raytheon chip and put it in a SD-1 case.

So I have too much OD-1s, sorry but this time I can't collaborate.😥

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 pm

Old_Iron wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:20 pm
That's a really nice build.

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 am

laurie wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 pm
That's a really nice build.
Thanks again Laurie, it is a "copy cat" homemade pcb.

At that time I was full of belief in mojo parts, so since I could not buy Yamato greenies, I chose the closest thing Xircon Japanese capacitors, also the very good Panasonic electrolytic.

With the Toshiba 1S1588 diodes, it sounds exactly like an original OD-1.

laurie

Post by laurie » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:34 am

Old_Iron wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 am

Thanks again Laurie, it is a "copy cat" homemade pcb.

At that time I was full of belief in mojo parts, so since I could not buy Yamato greenies, I chose the closest thing Xircon Japanese capacitors, also the very good Panasonic electrolytic.

With the Toshiba 1S1588 diodes, it sounds exactly like an original OD-1.
No worries - credit where due!

In my build of the SQO we found it didn't matter what components were used... The magic is in the schematic itself.