No one needs another overdrive...

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: No one needs another overdrive...

Post by laurie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:43 am

My daughter is an artist - I could have her do a line drawing of the man so that there were no issues with ownership of the art... Then I could use it on the front :)
<<graphic removed>>
Last edited by laurie on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Post by sclitheroe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:51 am

laurie wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:43 am
My daughter is an artist - I could have her do a line drawing of the man so that there were no issues with ownership of the art... Then I could use it on the front :)
mendeleev32c.jpg
The atomic number is usually written as a leading superscript, try that on for size...It's certainly edgier as a name
Screenshot 2021-03-26 235103.png
Screenshot 2021-03-26 235103.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
Although "Mendeleev 32" is also a cool name, its pretty Soviet industrial sounding that way..

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:05 am

OK... this is officially silly :)

I was thinking about having a "boost" switch to kick in some additional drive - into the realm of distortion...
mendeleev32d.jpg
mendeleev32d.jpg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

OK... so I won't be using anyone's name :(

It is a HECK of a good name. But there are a bunch of legal hoops that need to be jumped through to use a person's name on a product - checking the length of time the family retains ownership, other trademark uses, etc. Blah.
Last edited by laurie on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:23 am

That photograph is kind of scary, but the boost switch is very cool! :D
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:35 pm

Maybe it needs to be back to something really simple ... like the "32 OD" with no boost switch (a simple wiring change and the drive knob does the same thing).
32_ODd.jpg
32_ODd.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 5391 times

BearBoy
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Silver

Post by BearBoy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:46 am

laurie wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:05 am
OK... so I won't be using anyone's name :(

It is a HECK of a good name. But there are a bunch of legal hoops that need to be jumped through to use a person's name on a product - checking the length of time the family retains ownership, other trademark uses, etc. Blah.
It's a shame about the name but I'm sure it won't affect the sound adversely :lol:

I quite like the boost idea 8-)

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pm

Yeah. Naming/logo-ing/graphics for products is quite difficult. Lots of stuff to consider:

1) Is anything like this already in use? Is it trademarked? (and even if not trademarked, using something that is already in use will only cause confusion)
2) What do Google searches return?
3) Does the name have unfortunate meanings in another language? Is the name an unfortunate acronym for something?
4) Is anything like family name ownership involved?
5) Is the URL available? How about twitter names? Instagram?

And it goes on.

The only thing you can use with impunity is your own name, or the name of a company that you own.

My idea for a "boost" switch was to have the Drive knob go to about 80% of the available boost - that's the limit for "symmetric" drive. The boost switch would take it the last 20% into non-symmetric (more distortion than overdrive) territory. Just wiring the Drive knob to give the full 100% does the same thing and saves a switch and associated wiring (adds $ to the cost).
Last edited by laurie on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Here is a question...

I've been contemplating starting a new thread that will provide ALL the information about the pedal:
- The schematic and how it works.
- Why I've made the design decisions I've made.
- A pictorial history of the design process - PCB layout, enclosure design, etc.

Essentially a "how-to" for pedal design.

I want to share, but I have a couple of hesitations:
a) In this age-of-trolls I'm not really interested in being told "I suck at design". That won't come from any regulars here, but there are always armchair-quarterbacks out there who "know better" and will try to take down anyone that they can.
b) I have a lot of "emotional ownership" of my designs, and even with copyright notices once it goes on the internet it becomes public domain. I guess also see point (a) above.

Do you think I should do it?

Old_Iron

Post by Old_Iron » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 pm

laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Do you think I should do it?
No, for all the reasons you mentioned above, I say don't do it.

I am a diyer, or at least I was, has been a while since the last time I put together a pedal, and I know how much hard work requires a project like that.

If you want to share knowledge and discuss about your project (that's already a very nice atitude), so you could post only the schematics and nothing more.

Anyone who wants to build it, will have to do the hard work by themselves.

Sorry, but this is what I think about it.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:18 am

I like the idea of sharing your thoughts about pedal design. Seeing how a basic idea results into a finished product is always interesting.
laurie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm
a) In this age-of-trolls I'm not really interested in being told "I suck at design". That won't come from any regulars here, but there are always armchair-quarterbacks out there who "know better" and will try to take down anyone that they can.
Internet trolls are really annoying. Have you ever dealt with trolls when it comes to your pedals and your circuit design? You have always offered a full satisfaction warranty or money back in your DingoTone years, so have there really been serious complaints?

I'd suggest to print out the schematics and ship it with the pedals to the buyers. Why should the whole world have complete access to your hard work? I think that block diagrams will have to do for the rest of the guys out there.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram