HURMPD - DOD G7

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
tunghaichuan
SBZ: Silver

HURMPD - DOD G7

Post by tunghaichuan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:07 pm

I got this rackmount processor a few days ago from Craigslist, a DOD G7 rackmount processor.

30 preset slots and 30 user slots, all of which may be edited.

I spent about an hour today going throught the presets. I started by listening to them through the headphone jack. This unit suffers from thin, tinny sounds through the headphone jack as there is no speaker cabinet emulation.

I then ran the unti through my interface into Reaper using a power amp sim plugin and an IR loader with impulse responses. This improved the sound quite a bit, but there are onlytwo flavors of distortion in this unit: overdrive and Grunge(tm). The OD is okay. The Grunge has this nasty midrange that is hard to dial out. At first it sounded good, but after about an hour it started to grate on my nerves. I tried several IR files of different kinds, but it was very weird. The IRs didn't seem to affect the sound at all. Most of them sounded the same, which has not been my experience when using other gear.

Apparently DOD made another unit called the G10, which only differs by one resistor. I've never seen or heard one, so I don't know they compare soundwise.

To be fair, I only paid $25US for the unit, so I'm happy with my purchase.
Attachments
dod g7.JPG
dod g7.JPG (36.14 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: HURMPD - DOD G7

Post by laurie » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 pm

Nice. Sounds like cheap entertainment :)

tunghaichuan
SBZ: Silver

Re: HURMPD - DOD G7

Post by tunghaichuan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:27 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 pm
Nice. Sounds like cheap entertainment :)
Indeed. Best $25 I've spent on guitar gear in a while. 8-)

The G7 doesn't sound awesome, but I wasn't expecting it to. I was pleasantly surprised, though.

I've got a stereo class D power amp coming on Thursday (or so they tell me). My Cyber Monday purchase.

I'm anxious to see how the G7 sounds with a power amp and a couple of speaker cabinets.