hot damn laurie fuzz

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
crumb

hot damn laurie fuzz

Post by crumb » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:54 am

I've modded one of Lauries pedals.
The germanium hybrid fuzz.
Hot damn, it's good.
It was good before, too good for my liking.
The frequency response was spot on, but the delivery was a touch too fat.
I surmised q2 was the culprit , ( I'm not a fan of silicon so my theory was rather convenient)
so I changed it out for a mullard oc72 ( with a nice red dot on top denoting premium quality as well as the red dot on the side marking the collector) leakage 250, hfe 127...bit leaky but I thought that was gonna be perfect.
After the q2 mod, I was quite surprised to hear the thing was still pushing too hard, so I changed 1k resistor to 470r.
While I was there the second time I pulled out the 100pf cap, I like the radio breaking over my playing, and I theorised, (probably incorrectly..it's cut is probably above human hearing), that the 100pf was gonna wipe some toppys off, and that it would be even better after I took it out.
The final result is nothing short of astounding, they're a real nice sounding pedal, and now it does exactly what I want it to do, I played the thing for four hours today.
Observations:
1) q1 is magnificent, I've never heard a fuller range germanium transistor, no awful toppy ice sounds.
2) the build quality is first class, really well made, high quality hardware everywhere.

chromandre

Re: hot damn laurie fuzz

Post by chromandre » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:03 pm

yea! I love this pedal. I set the bias to my liking and it cleans up and acts very predictably under a lot of conditions. Absolute best of both worlds germanium/silicon