sclitheroe
SBZ: Platinum

Re: GeODe (OD pedal) and Fuzz Architect

Post by sclitheroe » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:43 am

laurie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 pm
sclitheroe wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 pm
How about an OD where instead of blend, it's an EQ stage that routes the part of the signal you are cutting (and normally dumping to ground, I guess) around the distortion stage and has it rejoin the circuit at the recovery/final output stage?

So if you wanted a treble boost, you'd increase the treble control, forcing the high end through the dirt stage, and drop the bass control, shunting it around the dirt to rejoin the dirty higher frequencies at the output stage. Or you could do the reverse, to give a dirty bottom end without a lot of high end fizz and higher frequency harmonics.

Or taken further, the front end EQ circuit could split the signal into two seperate gain channels, so you could send a varying amount of the upper and lower frequency spectrum through one level of gain, and the middle section of the spectrum through a different gain stage.

No idea if it would sound good.

Feel free to mock me :D Just random thoughts on a lunch hour.

I guess I just described a multi-band distortion, some interesting discussion of them here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=107155.0
No mocking required!

What you describe is doable. But much more complex than what I had in mind. It would feel like a bit of a "tour de force" for me... my designs tend to be straightforward - my philosophy has always been that the more you process the signal the less tone and feel emerges out the other side...

With the design as currently envisaged the dry signal merges with the effected signal after the EQ, so if you have a lot of treble boost in the effected signal you can merge the full-range dry signal with it to beef it back up. And vice-versa. Not as sophisticated as what you described, but a much simpler design.

What I could do is put a "one knob tone control" on the dry signal (technically called a "tilt" tone control)... that would give you full EQ on the effected signal and some control over the dry signal... thinking on it some more, this should work, remain simple, and give close to what you describe...
GeODe V1B.jpg
Ah your explanation makes sense, and I hadn't stopped to consider where you'd proposed placing the EQ.

The use case that triggered my idea is specifically my experience with the BSD - I love the BSD (I have three of them!), but there are definitely times where I've wished I could tighten up that fat wooly Ge bottom end, but keep that warm tubey mid and high end, without having to dramatically cut the bass - imagine a Ge BD-2 for a sense of what I mean.

I think with or without the tilt control, what you are proposing would get me there now that you've explained it - I could chop low end in the dirt section with the EQ and restore the cleaner bass via the blend. It's also more elegant and direct, as you note, and I recognize that importance in your designs.

The tilt control sounds like it would really let you play in the treble boost space with the pedal, and that is extremely interesting. Treble boosters were a revelation to me once I understood how they worked.

I'm going to go listen to some samples of dirt pedals with blend controls in anticipation of this thing :)

-Scott

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:58 pm

Block diagram of the current design for the GeODe (the Germanium OverDrive).
GeODe block diagram V2A.jpg
GeODe block diagram V2A.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
GeODe V2.jpg
GeODe V2.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 5382 times

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold
Bossarea: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:29 pm

This is clever and I’m liking it :) :)