Post by laurie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:36 am

Nice!!

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by Pepe » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:16 am

Indeed!

Laurie, have you ever seen a 3PDT that had a partial failure? 2/3 of the switch of Channel B worked in the normal way, but at first there was no proper connection at all on the third rail, so that the output was extremely low. I used compressed air and tuner spray in the slit on the top of the switch in the hope that it could wash away some potential dirt. I don't know if that helped, but in the end it worked after lots of stomping.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:16 am
Laurie, have you ever seen a 3PDT that had a partial failure? 2/3 of the switch of Channel B worked in the normal way, but at first there was no proper connection at all on the third rail, so that the output was extremely low. I used compressed air and tuner spray in the slit on the top of the switch in the hope that it could wash away some potential dirt. I don't know if that helped, but in the end it worked after lots of stomping.
Yes, that failure mode is common.

There was a series of 3PDT (blue) switches made about 10 to 15 years ago with a manufacturing fault that are all failing. It might be one of those.

Your fix will likely be temporary. I've had to replace maybe 5 of those switches over the years, the most recent in my recently acquired Rat.

If you don't have a spare switch let me know - I have some and can send one.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:57 pm

laurie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:51 pm
There was a series of 3PDT (blue) switches made about 10 to 15 years ago with a manufacturing fault that are all failing. It might be one of those.
Yes, it's a blue 3PDT. :|
laurie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:51 pm
If you don't have a spare switch let me know - I have some and can send one.
We have a good supplier here in Germany (BanzaiMusic in Berlin), so I have good source at hand. Normally I take this one. And I'm going to order them rightaway (my last order with parts for my KORG Phaser modules is still in progress, so I can add those switches).

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:17 pm

That looks like a good replacement.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:32 pm

Argh! The switches haven't been delivered in the meantime, but I just opened the Deucetone RAT. The mode selector switches on the back are riveted and you cannot lift the two circuit boards out of the chassis without removing those switches. :|

It's no problem to swap the 3PDT switches in the current state, there is enough room for that. But I wanted to put the existing opamps on sockets to try out LM308 opamps someday.

Should I leave it as it is? Or should I destroy the rivets and replace them by screws and nuts?

laurie

Post by laurie » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:32 pm
Argh! The switches haven't been delivered in the meantime, but I just opened the Deucetone RAT. The mode selector switches on the back are riveted and you cannot lift the two circuit boards out of the chassis without removing those switches. :|

It's no problem to swap the 3PDT switches in the current state, there is enough room for that. But I wanted to put the existing opamps on sockets to try out LM308 opamps someday.

Should I leave it as it is? Or should I destroy the rivets and replace them by screws and nuts?
If it was me... I wouldn't hesitate to drill out the rivets 8-)

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 pm

Okay, tomorrow I'm going to see if I have four black screws in one of my boxes.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:08 pm

I removed the rivets now. It was a little bit easier than imagined and the chassis does still look good. I'm going to order black M3 screws with hexagon sockets that will have a very similar look.

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:08 pm
I removed the rivets now. It was a little bit easier than imagined and the chassis does still look good. I'm going to order black M3 screws with hexagon sockets that will have a very similar look.
Sounds perfect.