Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by zentropa » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:15 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:25 am
So true. DOD had some great sounding pedals. The typical issue of a missing battery cover is sort of a design flaw.
However, like all things that were initially seen as the 'affordable option' of the time and then flew under the radar/dirt cheap for so long, the word is out now.
I was able to wrangle up a few extra battery covers (and knobs) by buying pedal lots and selling the ones I didn't want without the covers so I could restore the ones I wanted to keep.

A lot of the values on the less popular models are crashing pretty hard right now, so those who might want to foray into them, now is a good time.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:38 pm

Well, just got another one of these. I have had 2 others that were in better condition but one was picking up a huge amount of LFO noise from output A (and not on output B). The other I ended up selling but regretted it as they have become quite rare/expensive. These are similar to the Ibanez BC9 Bi-Chorus or BCL Bi-Mode Chorus, but the FX67 had two independent circuits for each half of the controls. Sonically I would say they can also do DC-2 type sounds. If I was only going to own 1 DOD chorus, I would go with the FX68 or FX65, but if you're going to have 2, I recommend this as the second.

A previous owner had painted part of the casing and knobs with neon paint, but thankfully 45 minutes with a magic eraser was able to clean up most of it.
DOD FX67 Stereo Turbo Chorus.jpg
DOD FX67 Stereo Turbo Chorus.jpg (101.67 KiB) Viewed 1784 times

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:00 pm

Custom paint jobs are simply awful! :|

Interesting pedal! I have had an Ibanez Bi-Mode Chorus from the 9-series that went to fuzzbuzzfuzz years ago. It was a very lush and good sounding pedal.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:13 am

zentropa wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:45 pm
Got this as well. Pretty solid spring reverb sim.

SolidGoldFX Surf Rider IV LE CME.jpg
Oh nice. I had the big box version. It was pretty good but I’m so picky haha. That looks much more compact.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm

My BOSS FDR-1 is still lost in the mail and the post people are now going on the hunt to find out where it is hiding. Let's see how this ends.

In the meantime I have this vintage MXR Distortion + incoming. Declared as defective. But I think that I can cure the problems.

MXR_Dist+.jpg
MXR_Dist+.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:44 pm

Great score pepe!

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm
My BOSS FDR-1 is still lost in the mail and the post people are now going on the hunt to find out where it is hiding. Let's see how this ends.

In the meantime I have this vintage MXR Distortion + incoming. Declared as defective. But I think that I can cure the problems.

MXR_Dist+.jpg
Very cool!
I dig the D+ circuit, pretty easy to troubleshoot.

The_Doc
SBZ: Gold

Post by The_Doc » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am

Excellent find Pepe and congratulations !

Make sure you open it up carefully. Sometimes these are a mess inside because of the decomposing foam substance that covers the board. I’ve made that mistake a couple of times when changing the batteries in these old MXR pedals.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 am

Okay, I'll kepp that in mind! The old KORG compact pedals have foam on the battery lid and on their circuit boards as well, but if you touch it these days, it's like sea foam. :? My way to remove it is to scrub it away with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. That does normally work great.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:54 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm

Looks like fun.

Sucks about your FDR-1. I was going to buy one of those on craigslist 2 days ago but the seller went non-responsive when setting up a meeting time and then the ad came down :(