Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by Pepe » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:50 am

The_Doc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am
Excellent find Pepe and congratulations !

Make sure you open it up carefully. Sometimes these are a mess inside because of the decomposing foam substance that covers the board. I’ve made that mistake a couple of times when changing the batteries in these old MXR pedals.
The Distortion + has arrived today. I haven't tested it yet, because what you wrote is indeed the case. Yuck! The foam is really an awful mess and I disassembled everything to give it a proper cleaning.

I just added two tantals to my latest parts order and I'm going to replace them, no matter if they are still good or not. According to the numbers on the potentiometers the pedal is from 1980.

Pics will follow once it's cleaned (it is really, really dirty! :? ) and repaired.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 pm

I have never seen the guts of a Distortion + until today. It's funny to see that it is such a compact circuit with only 16 components for everything (including the buffer for the bypass with the simple SPDT footswitch).

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:32 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 pm
I have never seen the guts of a Distortion + until today. It's funny to see that it is such a compact circuit with only 16 components for everything (including the buffer for the bypass with the simple SPDT footswitch).
Yeah. When I was doing my big board of classic circuits my research yielded that the MXR D+, tan Ross Distortion, and DOD OD 250 were all based upon the same circuit from the Texas Instruments project guide.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:26 am

The_Doc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am
Excellent find Pepe and congratulations !

Make sure you open it up carefully. Sometimes these are a mess inside because of the decomposing foam substance that covers the board. I’ve made that mistake a couple of times when changing the batteries in these old MXR pedals.
I opened up my 80 D+, 81 Phase 90 and 81 Micro Amp a few weeks ago and found that the foam had hit the wall and deteriorated on all 3. It was a little messy to clean up, but they are good. Did some double layer gaff tape strips to substitute for the foam until I find a suitable replacement.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:28 am

zentropa wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:32 pm
Pepe wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 pm
Yeah. When I was doing my big board of classic circuits my research yielded that the MXR D+, tan Ross Distortion, and DOD OD 250 were all based upon the same circuit from the Texas Instruments project guide.
This was always funny to me. Back in the late 70s, there were not a lot of options for pedals. A few overdrives, a few fuzzes, a few distortions. 3 of the distortions were only a couple component changes different from each other!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:48 pm

I replaced the tantals today. The MXR distortion + is alive again! :D

I don't know if the tantals were bad, since I didn't try the pedal out before (mostly because of the foam mess), but now it works like a charm. Everything is really clean and works without the tiniest crackle. Foam was replaced. Apart from the deep scratches and nicks in the paint it looks great (pics will follow) and sounds awesome. I have never tried a real distortion + and I was surprised how many sounds are under its hood, despite two knobs only! Headroom is a little bit low, but absolutely okay for me. Nice breakup at minimum gain already.

It's a keeper! 8-)

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:41 pm

:D :D :D

zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:55 am

Pepe wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:48 pm
Headroom is a little bit low, but absolutely okay for me. Nice breakup at minimum gain already.
Both the d+ and the ross definitely have headroom issues. The od250 does not due to the silicon clipping diodes.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:41 am

Picked up a MXR FOD. It's a full-on MIAB voiced riff on the OS2 thing, giving you the ability to sweep between a crunchy side and more gainy side with a little scoop. Also has a three way switch to give an EQ response of flat, scooped or mid forward. I like it!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:39 am

zentropa wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:55 am
Pepe wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:48 pm
Headroom is a little bit low, but absolutely okay for me. Nice breakup at minimum gain already.
Both the d+ and the ross definitely have headroom issues. The od250 does not due to the silicon clipping diodes.
Interesting! But the headroom of the distortion + is really just enough for me and my Stratocaster.