Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:28 pm

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:39 am
NB2: Ever thought of building a reverb Laurie? (or a preamp box like the Anasounds that does the control and then you use your tank to connect too)
I'd buy that!
I've also seriously thought about this:
https://www.cedist.com/products/effects ... ing-reverb

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:02 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:28 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
NB2: Ever thought of building a reverb Laurie? (or a preamp box like the Anasounds that does the control and then you use your tank to connect too)
I'd buy that!
I've also seriously thought about this:
https://www.cedist.com/products/effects ... ing-reverb
Ay-Karumba!

What an excellent site.

Yes that does look nice. Obviously quality comes at a cost.

Now I'm (pointlessly!) eyeing the digital offering lol

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/p ... tal-reverb

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:04 am

laurie wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:19 pm
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Quite a battle to get a "cheap" reverb for the money that sounds acceptable to the ears!

I've pondered a few others over the years, and often the "put-off" of most modern reverb pedals - an obvious delay mimicking a reverb - can easily be done with...well an existing delay pedal!  With the Spring tank it was replacing two long-chip DD-3s for space.

Prior to that I was happy with either the Guyatone Delay Box, set short, or the Big Jam Reverb/Delay, both set for a mild "verb". Being analog I didn't get that "fake" or "weirdly modulated" tone destroying my clean signal or drive, and felt more comfortable having them on the board.
Digital reverbs often feel "stiff" and the dynamics of the dry signal vanish as the mix is cranked.

Also Tried:
  • Holy Grail (Original) - one good trick,still got a mint crated one, needs a specific 500ma adaptor.
    Holy Grail Nano - same as above
    Holy Grail Neo - far too wet too quickly one trick, good but expensive really for the lack of tweeking.
    Holy Grail Plus - it was expensive at the time, mix control useful, I may buy again if cheap.
    Dr.Scientist ????? - lots of options but that same "hard" sound, "plate" reverb I guess.
    RV-2 - still my favourite easy use reverb
    RV-3 - modern, bit plasticky, sold.
    Catlinbread Topanga - a famous one, expensive, tried briefly in store, needed more time I think.
    Shin Ei ER-23 - great boing, great preamp, very short spring though, may mod one (heresy!)
    Danelectro BLT - bit cheap and cheerful, terrible bypass, the PJ+B did a better job I think but not shcoking.
    Malekko Chicklet - loved it when it came out, quite a thick sound but a bit overwhelming sometimes, not fake just cloying. There(s a cheap clone on Amazon. Good overall though
    Danelectro Spring King - Surprisingly good overall, but a short spring. May tinker modding if time.
Would like to try/buy:
  • Guyatone MR-2 (rare)
    EHX Holiest Grail (big box all black - drool!) 
    Tech 21 IVB Boost v2 (dry through, simple controls, might be better than the prior issue)
    DOD FX-45 (super short but I'm a sucker for analog boxes, very rare)
    Malekko Spring Chicken - wonder if better than the Chicklet.
    TC Mini HOF - I'm a luddite and love analog simplicity but I feel this may actually be the logical way for anyone given the footprint and edit capabilities.
    TC Spring 
    Fender Tre-Verb (fancy, pricy)
    Surfy Bear (probably "the one", but pricy!)
    Van Amps Sole Mate (real spring, pricy)
    Guyatone FV-2000 - a huge amp head like beast.
    Carl Martin Spring Reverb - Oh I'd lvoe this and regret missing one, two verbs, real spring)
I tend to gravitate to older, rarer more awkward quirky things, not a crowd follower despite that probably being the best option sometimes :lol: haha.

Ideally a Reverb pedal to me should*

> Emulate older classic verbs well.
> No obvious "delay" echos
> Allow clean dry through
> No "fake" or "modulated"-ness
> Have a mix control! and possibly a boost
> Have a nice preamp perhaps
> Sit in the mix
> Look nice!! :D
This is gold. Thanks!
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
I'd buy that!
Strangely, yes. I think about building one, then decide it would have to be tube powered like the original Fender Reverb and it gets too big and complicated :roll:
Sub in some FETs for space? Or microtube?

Effectrobe made a few tube pedals that were stompbox friendly (ish). There's a few other smaller spring reverbs too I think board size.

https://reverb.com/news/tanks-a-lot-six ... y-pleasure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTJmuWE-r8
https://www.guitarpedalx.com/news/gpx-b ... erb-pedals

Could you mate a FET Preamp front end + circuitry with a srping reverb unit seperate? Surf green, white knobs. Reverb unit under the board or back, Blue SKy size unit up front, maybe two switches for two depths/two volumes if possible. Dwell, Mix controls etc

Joske Turbo
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Post by Joske Turbo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:06 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:11 am

> Emulate older classic verbs well. Yes, convincing Fender spring tank emulation
> No obvious "delay" echos Yes.
> Allow clean dry through Yes.
> No "fake" or "modulated"-ness Yes, really natural sounding.
> Have a mix control! and possibly a boost Yes + you can crank up the preamp!
> Have a nice preamp perhaps Yes, sounds even better on 18 volts
> Sit in the mix Does this beautifully
> Look nice!! :D Has the look in my opinion :D
Based on what your ideal reverb pedal would be I can really recommend the Topanga, it ticks all of your boxes, as you can see in the inline :)

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:42 am

That's a cool recommendation, Joske Turbo! I always liked the look of the Catalinbread pedals and I'm eyeing with a CB-30 (AC-30 in a box) for years.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:32 pm

Joske Turbo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:06 am
Based on what your ideal reverb pedal would be I can really recommend the Topanga, it ticks all of your boxes, as you can see in the inline :)
That looks good! Prices are a bit eye-watering...

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 am

Joske Turbo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:06 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:11 am

> Emulate older classic verbs well. Yes, convincing Fender spring tank emulation
> No obvious "delay" echos Yes.
> Allow clean dry through Yes.
> No "fake" or "modulated"-ness Yes, really natural sounding.
> Have a mix control! and possibly a boost Yes + you can crank up the preamp!
> Have a nice preamp perhaps Yes, sounds even better on 18 volts
> Sit in the mix Does this beautifully
> Look nice!! :D Has the look in my opinion :D

Thanks! Yes It really is an “obvious” choice, but being a “round-the-houses” illogical `not with the crowd` idiot I prefer to go through a ton of other lesser verbs first before finally going that way!

Seriously though, yes, it does look (and seems to sound) excellent, I just have to get myself psyched up to spend $200 for a used one or more for a new one. Most pedals built in the US are quite pricy here. Still there’s hope!

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:54 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 am
Most pedals built in the US are quite pricy here. Still there’s hope!
If you find one in Canada have it sent to me and I will mail it to you...

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:07 pm

You know that I'm obsessed with the KORG PME-40X pedal system from the early 80s. In the last months I purchased another few modules, for example the "Ext Selector" that I haven't had before and just recently another "Dist Wah" and "Octave V" (Hello, stereo experiments! :D ). Only the KNG-101 Noise Gate is still missing. I had one, but I had no real use for it. It's not different now, but I would love to complete the full set.

Two of the Analog Delays, a Chorus, an Ext Selector and an Over Drive are up for sale soon, as are two of the pedal boards (220V) of which I have five units right now. The Wave Shaper in the lower right has been sold to a buyer in California tonight.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

laurie

Post by laurie » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:11 pm

Wow pepe! You've got it bad ;)

Nice collection!!