New Non-BOSS Pedals

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by Pepe » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:20 pm

Yes, all these old KORG units have a sound that I really, really like. There is not even one with a slight "meh"-factor.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:17 am

laurie wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:54 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 am
Most pedals built in the US are quite pricy here. Still there’s hope!
If you find one in Canada have it sent to me and I will mail it to you...
Thanks Laurie thats very kind of you!

Btw, how about a nice tremolo pedal build?

Like most effects I love it and have a dozen or more I use...yet I can see room to improve, functionally.

Someting the size of the Architect fuzz (and the rock solid build quality!). (the BBE Tremor I have is about right)
  • 2 independent speeds/depths is the key, hopefully with a "ramp" time.
    Wave shape of the basics - square, triangle, sine + "Skew" (that off centre wobble vintage tone is perfect)
    Volume/boost/preamp control.
    Surf green, white Fender knobs or similar (Like the TC Pipeline maybe?)
    Expression jack (to ramp speed or depth)
    Of course tap tempo would be the icing on the cake but its not essential.
    Clear largish LEDs that flash the tempo.
One of my favouritesis actually the Maxon Stereo Box - which is technically a pan but functions as a tremolo in mono mode. The PN-2 gets very close soundwise with less control of the speed.

Thoughts? :D

(Actaully I also recal I have a Fuchs Creme de la Trem in the junk pile which I loved - harmonic style trem. Now something like that on a mode would be thoroughly welcome! 18v fried the Fuchs, but its fiddly small circuit. They did send two replacement chips but to no avail. I also flipped out the diode but no dice.)

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:57 am

fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:17 am
laurie wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:54 am
fuzzbuzzfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 am
Most pedals built in the US are quite pricy here. Still there’s hope!
If you find one in Canada have it sent to me and I will mail it to you...
Thanks Laurie thats very kind of you!

Btw, how about a nice tremolo pedal build?

Like most effects I love it and have a dozen or more I use...yet I can see room to improve, functionally.

Someting the size of the Architect fuzz (and the rock solid build quality!). (the BBE Tremor I have is about right)
  • 2 independent speeds/depths is the key, hopefully with a "ramp" time.
    Wave shape of the basics - square, triangle, sine + "Skew" (that off centre wobble vintage tone is perfect)
    Volume/boost/preamp control.
    Surf green, white Fender knobs or similar (Like the TC Pipeline maybe?)
    Expression jack (to ramp speed or depth)
    Of course tap tempo would be the icing on the cake but its not essential.
    Clear largish LEDs that flash the tempo.
One of my favouritesis actually the Maxon Stereo Box - which is technically a pan but functions as a tremolo in mono mode. The PN-2 gets very close soundwise with less control of the speed.

Thoughts? :D

(Actaully I also recal I have a Fuchs Creme de la Trem in the junk pile which I loved - harmonic style trem. Now something like that on a mode would be thoroughly welcome! 18v fried the Fuchs, but its fiddly small circuit. They did send two replacement chips but to no avail. I also flipped out the diode but no dice.)
I love the specificity :D

I haven't ever thought of doing a tremolo - I bought a Fulltone Supatrem years ago and it does everything I need.

fuzzbuzzfuzz

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:20 am

I love the specificity :D
I have a engineer's heart but non of the skill!

I think, as I am sure you know, after a while experience tells you X or Y is missing. I suppose its my impetus for modding my own too, quite satisfying. If I ever had the skill/time to build my own pedals they would have to be something with some practical learning/mods inc, rather than I guess retreads or exapnded functions for the sake of it. But for now its mere mods! ;)

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:39 pm

As far as new pedals go, except the Ibanez BB-9, last year I got into multiband compression. For me, for the bass guitar at least, that seems the way to go. I like slower attack on the low end and a faster attack on the high end with just a moderate 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. A normal single band compressor like the MXR bass comp I had was never gonna give me that.

I have an old Trace Elliot combo where the dual band compression is build in, and I was kind of intrigued by this idea. So, since it's pretty hard finding an original TE dual band compressor pedal for a decent price, not to mention it runs on a crazy 18 volt centre positive adaptor, I found the TC electronic Hypergravity.

A multiband compressor that is fully programmable with their toneprint editor software.
I love it, in fact I love it so much I bought the mini as well. :lol:
Now I can set up one pedal for the electrics, and the other for my acoustic bass.
I found the original pedal's parameters on the Ovnilab website and some youtube video, and kind of went from there.

I like TC Electronic, I also have the Mojomojo, the mini Corona chorus and the skysurfer reverb.
Anybody else have and like toneprint pedals and use the editor software?
Attachments
20230227_195418 (Klein).jpg
20230227_195418 (Klein).jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:45 pm

Sounds like a nice solution! Ovnilab is a good source, especially for bass guitar. It seems like the owner of this site hasn't added too much in the last few years, though.

I only know the Skysurfer, which is my little brother's only reverb pedal. I always know when it's on. It's when there is constant noise in the pauses. :? So far this tc electronic pedal from the recent Behringer era hasn't convinced me to check out the other pedals from that brand. I have only heard good things about the old ones that were entirely made in Denmark.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:01 pm

I've never heard of a multiband compressor before, but that is a GREAT idea for bass. Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by laurie on Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:47 am

Dirk wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:39 pm
As far as new pedals go, except the Ibanez BB-9, last year I got into multiband compression. For me, for the bass guitar at least, that seems the way to go. I like slower attack on the low end and a faster attack on the high end with just a moderate 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. A normal single band compressor like the MXR bass comp I had was never gonna give me that.

I have an old Trace Elliot combo where the dual band compression is build in, and I was kind of intrigued by this idea. So, since it's pretty hard finding an original TE dual band compressor pedal for a decent price, not to mention it runs on a crazy 18 volt centre positive adaptor, I found the TC electronic Hypergravity.

A multiband compressor that is fully programmable with their toneprint editor software.
I love it, in fact I love it so much I bought the mini as well. :lol:
Now I can set up one pedal for the electrics, and the other for my acoustic bass.
I found the original pedal's parameters on the Ovnilab website and some youtube video, and kind of went from there.

I like TC Electronic, I also have the Mojomojo, the mini Corona chorus and the skysurfer reverb.
Anybody else have and like toneprint pedals and use the editor software?
The Trace SMX Dual Comp is a killer pedal. I bought one used back in the late 90s and it hasn't left my bass board since!

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:18 am

Cool board! Kudos to your for using the ODB-3 in the only correct way.

Dirk
SBZ: Double Platinum

Post by Dirk » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:20 pm

Pepe wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:18 am
Cool board! Kudos to your for using the ODB-3 in the only correct way.
What do you mean? I also still have one, although it doesn't work in a band for me, I love the synthy sound it has.

@bigtone23, Pepe is right. Cool 90's inspired board. 8-)