Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
zentropa
SBZ: Silver
Bossarea: Gold

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by zentropa » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:30 am

Pepe wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:01 am
After seeing a PL5 Powerlead for 15 EUR in a second hand shop after purchasing the TS5 I thought that the 14 EUR for the Tubescreamer might have been an average price. They also have a Thrashmetal for 49 EUR. I suppose it is from the first series with a metal chassis.

Is the Powerlead useful? Should I buy it if it is still there? I think it comes with the box, also.
I got a powerlead for my girlfriend a while back for $10 in mint condition. If memory serves it was a high gain distortion with a fairly smooth playfeel. Bit more dirt on tap than a ds-1, not as much gain as an mt-2 or raunchy like the hm-2. It had a lot of compression and sustain.

Back then $10-15 was the average going rate as it had no following whatsoever and was sort of a tweener pedal by having more gain than most people wanted but not enough for the modern metal players. I enjoyed it, though.

Pepe
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:21 am

Okay, that sounds like something that I could enjoy as well.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:50 pm

I just came back from the second hand shop. There is no Powerlead for 15 EUR, as I thought. It is a plastic Classic Metal with the box, but also with a missing knob for 19 EUR. Meh.

The Thrashmetal costs 39 EUR, not 49, but it seems to have a plastic chassis as well. Meh.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:43 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:50 pm
I just came back from the second hand shop. There is no Powerlead for 15 EUR, as I thought. It is a plastic Classic Metal with the box, but also with a missing knob for 19 EUR. Meh.

The Thrashmetal costs 39 EUR, not 49, but it seems to have a plastic chassis as well. Meh.
That's too bad.

laurie
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 am

Meh, indeed!

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:55 am

Had a severely underpriced pedal lot pop up on craigslist. Definitely keeping this one. Took me nearly an hour to get the velcro off without it destroying the bottom label. It is an original 80s one.
Ibanez FL9.jpg
Ibanez FL9.jpg (325.25 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Sadly, out of the entire lot, everything has worked well except an original late 80s/early 90's SansAmp with box, which was also the most valuable pedal out of them all. Currently looking at where to get it fixed.

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:17 pm

Today I received a Japanese Vesta Fire DST Distortion pedal that I purchased for a fair price at ebay. I had no big expectations, but man! This is one of the few pedals that make my guitar sing! If there were no signal bleed in bypass mode with gain above 02:00 it would be an almost perfect pedal.

Sadly, the front plate for the five knobs has almost no visible labellings anymore, but otherwise it looks pretty good and is very well-built. Pictures will follow, once it is clean and assembled again.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:17 pm
Today I received a Japanese Vesta Fire DST Distortion pedal that I purchased for a fair price at ebay. I had no big expectations, but man! This is one of the few pedals that make my guitar sing! If there were no signal bleed in bypass mode with gain above 02:00 it would be an almost perfect pedal.

Sadly, the front plate for the five knobs has almost no visible labellings anymore, but otherwise it looks pretty good and is very well-built. Pictures will follow, once it is clean and assembled again.
Never seen one of those anymore. What is it similar to?

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm

Finished up my DOD collection (aside from 1 more PRC-6 board) and slowly whittling away at my Ibanez 9 Series. Replaced my AD9 reissue with a vintage one and grabbed this AF9 recently.
NEW 041124.jpg
NEW 041124.jpg (445.09 KiB) Viewed 179 times
DOD Bass Board.jpg
DOD Bass Board.jpg (496.42 KiB) Viewed 179 times

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:55 pm

zentropa wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:31 pm
Pepe wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:17 pm

Never seen one of those anymore. What is it similar to?
Well, I really don't know. It has the 4558 inside and I think it might share a good bit with the MXR Distortion +, but I'm not too sure. Surprisingly it has some non-polarized electrolytic capacitors, which I haven't seen too often in dirt pedals (if at all!). The 3-band-EQ is very nice and effective, especially with the mids. With bass cranked, the tubes of my amp are rattling like crazy at bedroom volume already!