New Non-BOSS Pedals

Discuss all non-Boss pedals here!
Sinom
SBZ: Silver

Re: New Non-BOSS Pedals

Post by Sinom » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:15 am

I was lucky it popped up in the local marketplace, always fancied one but missed the boat, and as you say prices are rising! Plus I would get hit for import duties if purchased internationally.

Cheers!

laurie
SBZ: Multi Platinum
Bossarea: Multi Platinum

Post by laurie » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:43 am

They are good pedals! I used to have a full set of them and they all sounded good.

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:42 pm

A month ago I bought a KORG V-C-F filter effects unit from a seller in Bonn, which is 100 km away from my home. On the 5th July it arrived at the local parcel centre and then somehow it got lost. Apparently the shipping label must have fallen off, we don't know what might have happened.

On the 11th July I had to appoint DHL to do a research and to my great luck they were able to find it in their parcel identification centre on the 22th July. It took until this day (3rd August!) to finally arrive at our home. Phew!

Now I have it here, but I cannot do anything with it, because the fuse is blown. I have ordered a few parts, since I wanted to do a recapping anyway. Let's see if it is back to life when I insert the new fuse.

This lowpass/highpass Traveler filter is the very same as in my all-time favourite analogue synthesizer, the mid-'70s KORG 800DV (also in the models 700, 700S and 770). It should sound superb, once it is working again.

Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

zentropa
Bossarea: Gold

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:54 am

Got these two this week. Both of them were re-purchases of pedals I had owned but sold.

The Han-Taun is probably my favorite Klon type. It has more gain on tap and more low end. I also think the graphic is hilarious.
IdiotBox Effects Han-Taun.jpg
IdiotBox Effects Han-Taun.jpg (116.44 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
Han Taun 2.jpg
Han Taun 2.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
The DMBL is one of my favorite dumbloid type pedals. Similar to a Zendrive, but I think it responds a bit more amp-like.
Mojo Hand DMBL.jpg
Mojo Hand DMBL.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 3429 times

Pepe
Bossarea: Double Platinum

Post by Pepe » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:35 am

The first one is hilarious! I love it! 8-)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:03 pm

This is amazing! Love the graphic!

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:26 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:03 pm
When I saw it I knew I wanted one. Thankfully I actually liked the pedal, too. That company does some interestingly odd things and are reasonably priced (the Han Taun is $129 new and goes on sale around most holidays).

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:14 am

zentropa wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:26 pm
bigtone23 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:03 pm
When I saw it I knew I wanted one. Thankfully I actually liked the pedal, too. That company does some interestingly odd things and are reasonably priced (the Han Taun is $129 new and goes on sale around most holidays).
Wow! Well, I was on the lookout for a Klone, pretty sure this will be it. The price and graphic are right on point. If it sounds 80%+ like a Klon, i'm happy.

zentropa

Post by zentropa » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:01 pm

bigtone23 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:14 am
Wow! Well, I was on the lookout for a Klone, pretty sure this will be it. The price and graphic are right on point. If it sounds 80%+ like a Klon, i'm happy.
A number of the Klones have a fat boost (Sacred Cow, Tumnus Deluxe, etc.), if you are familiar with those, the Han Taun's circuit basically has that fat boost always on. It has a bit less volume, so unity is closer to 12 o'clock than 9 o'clock on closer Klones and has a friendlier sweep on the volume pot. It also has a lot more gain on tap. Maxing out the gain on a more accurate Klone is equal to around 1 o'clock on the Han Taun, so while there is more gain on tap, the sweep is more sensitive if you are trying to remain in regular Klon territory. The Han Taun is buffered, which I prefer for this circuit. I find it more fun to play than the other Klones I have tried. Most of my friends like it more than closer Klones, but your results may vary.

If seeking a used one, you can often get them in the $75-90 range if you are patient. If looking new, they will probably have a site sale around labor day in the 10-20% off range. Idiotbox is a single man-operation and I believe he even screen prints the graphics himself (my local shop is a dealer with them and we have talked about them).

bigtone23

Post by bigtone23 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:41 am

Sounds like what I'm after. I don't have a legit Klone of any sort. This will be my intro to this type pedal.
It's funny, I almost never use pedals for my grit tones, but I do have a LOT of drives/distortions/fuzz... and often have one in the chain to push my crunchy amp a little crunchier. I'm also a bridge single coil guy, so the Han-Taun seems great for this application!